Rear Brakes 2001 GT Anti Rattle Clip Question

For those that have replaced stock rear brakes on SN95 and new edges, how tight should the anti rattle clips be when reinstalling? The set I’m replacing did not have the anti rattle clips on the pads, they were just sitting in the bracket without them. I cleaned the bracket, applied caliper grease, and attempting installed the new pads with the anti rattle clips. They fit very tight, to the point they won’t move at all with the anti rattle clips. I don’t think that is correct. Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Do Brakes all of the time. The clips are designed to keep that pad in place when the caliper is not engaged, In my experience at the shop, the clips fit snug and keep the pads stationary. Of course the brake system is designed to move the pad in as the caliper tightens. The Hydraulic pressure makes that happen but the issue here would be when the caliper releases. Will the pads come back to the resting position while that clip is in place.

So, my suggestion is that you install them as they should be and then get in before putting that wheel on and press the brake. If the caliper releases and that pad goes back to allow the wheel to spin freely. You ave everything correct and no further action besides getting the wheels on and torquing the lug nuts down to spec.

After complete reassembly, I’m convinced these clips are too tight. When the caliper releases, it doesn’t feel like the pads are relaxing away from the rotor enough to not hear rubbing when turning the rotor.
It’s the Powerstop Z26 Kit. I have read the hardware that comes with the kit is “junk”. I had no issue with the front hardware, just the rear. I may see if getting different hardware yields a better result

Yes, go back to where you got the pads and see if they have a different kit for it. Have you tried running them without the kit? The pads in the back may not chatter where you can hear it from the drivers seat.

Yes, go back to where you got the pads and see if they have a different kit for it. Have you tried running them without the kit? The pads in the back may not chatter where you can hear it from the drivers seat.

Considering the previous set of pads were installed without the anti rattle clips, I suspect the dealer I bought the car from had a similar issue when replacing everything (Or they just didn’t bother with the hardware). I never heard any chattering with the previous pads, but can’t hear much over the Borla Ataks anyway. At least now I’ve got the top guide clip installed, that was also missing.

Last edited: