Rear brakes help piston wont compress

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
Ok today i took my rear calipers off to install new pads because i was replacing rotors as well, the original pads are about %50 used. I unbolted the caliper and went to kragen got there tool to compress it and when i tried turning it it wont budge at all. I didnt disconnect the e-brake cable from the caliper could this be why? What else could i do to get this to turn? it moved a little bid and now i cant even put my worn pads back one so i cant drive it! Is the caliper seezed? how do you know for sure? all i did was unbolt the caliper and try to compress if i missed something maybe this is why it wouldnt do it.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure what tool you are using but if it is the little cube with the diffrent ends for every model, forget it.

You need the tool that you turn with a hand ratchet clockwise as you compress with the handle. They can be very hard at first. Try to forget about compressing it and just try to get it turning first (assuming your using the right tool).

Also opening the brake fluid resevoir cap can sometimes help a little bit. Good luck.

No you don't have to remove the e-brake cable to compress it.

Should be this tool

vw_matra_t10165x.jpg

34189.JPG

Attachments

• vw_matra_t10165x.jpg
    vw_matra_t10165x.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 636
  • 34189.JPG
    34189.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 765
Im wondering if i have a siezed piston. It wouldnt move at all, I did forget to take off the cap to the brake fluid though. Im going to try again tomarrow so ill repost to let you know if i find a way. thanks

Im wondering if i have a siezed piston. It wouldnt move at all, I did forget to take off the cap to the brake fluid though. Im going to try again tomarrow so ill repost to let you know if i find a way. thanks

when i did my rears i had to bleed the brakes big time before it would even think about compressing. Keep bleeding them till it goes.

Well i finally got it to work. I found out the tool was using wasnt turning it was supposed to turn and push in but the tool was broken at the tip and just pushed like a c clamp. so i took it back got another one. And got them on fine. thanks

when i did my rears i had to bleed the brakes big time before it would even think about compressing. Keep bleeding them till it goes.
I had to bleed a small amount before it would compress as well. I wasted 2 or 3 hours fighting it with various shoddy tools before I broke down and got the kit from auto zone.