Rear coil springs

I always put the top of spring in first. Then if needed I can push down with the axle/control arm and/or pry up to compress spring into place.

You could also use a spring compressor on the springs to help slip them in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Looking at the pics, if the shock is stock (length) and fully extended, you are getting some pretty good droop with the shocks disconnected.

If the axle doesn't articulate very well, try disconnecting one side of the sway bar.

• Useful
Looking at the pics, if the shock is stock (length) and fully extended, you are getting some pretty good droop with the shocks disconnected.

If the axle doesn't articulate very well, try disconnecting one side of the sway bar.
Ok all good ideas Kruisr. Thank you very much! I’m going to try installing it the other way then, putting the top in first instead of the bottom as I was doing. Yes. It’s all stock shocks. I will consider disconnecting 1 side of the sway bar also if it’s still problematic or borrow a spring compressor. Thought this was going to be an hour job but I wasn’t so lucky. ok, well I’m off to dinner with the wifey now. It’s a balancing act as you all know. Lol I will pick this up again in a few days when i get the time. For now she’s gonna have to sit on the stands crippled. Thanks for your ideas! I’m going to start fresh and try those tips and get this done!
thank you !

If all four shocks are disconnected, I do not know what else would be restricting travel. If installing from the other direction does not work, unbolting the LCA one side at a time from the axle (and sway bar) could get you a lot of clearance, but I hope it does not come down to that.

If all four shocks are disconnected, I do not know what else would be restricting travel. If installing from the other direction does not work, unbolting the LCA one side at a time from the axle (and sway bar) could get you a lot of clearance, but I hope it does not come down to that.
I am going to try them install the other way, from top to bottom. Hope that works. If not then I will either disconnect one side of the bar or just get a spring compressor or a second set of hands to help me push this thing in while pushing down. Im busy these next few days so unfortunately have to wait to tackle this again. I will let you know what worked. Thanks for these ideas!

You gotta do one side at a time. Unbolt shocks and quads and then pivot the rear so one side goes lower than the other. Put the Jack under one drum and have another under the pumpkin and drop it down. Might have to put some weight on it, but watch the center brake line and make sure you don’t pull it

Last edited:
You gotta do one sode at a time. Unbolt shocks and quads and then pivot the rear so one side goes lower than the other. Put the Jack under one drum and have another under the pumpkin and drop it down. Might have to put some weight on it, but watch the center brake line and make sure you don’t pull it
Thanks 5L5.
I was doing them both at the same time. I will bolt the other side back up and try as you said.

Yes, one side at a time putting the top of the spring in first. You do not have bolt the other side up, leave both sides unbolted and do one side at a time. With the spring pushed up in then push down real hard on the axle housing on the side you are doing and the spring should go in no problem. Also, just for a matter of interest I never use the isolators on the rear and have never had any issues at all.

Yes, one side at a time putting the top of the spring in first. You do not have bolt the other side up, leave both sides unbolted and do one side at a time. With the spring pushed up in then push down real hard on the axle housing on the side you are doing and the spring should go in no problem. Also, just for a matter of interest I never use the isolators on the rear and have never had any issues at all.
Thanks for this....
Definitely going to try by inserting the top first and pushing down. If it still won’t pop in then advance to more extreme measures. Lol
I hope to get to this maybe tomorrow or likely Monday. Thanks for your input!

If you have someone that can step down on the end of the axle housing while you insert the spring it would be even easier.
I tried that with my wife but she wasn’t much help. Lol
I’m going to have to get someone who can really apply pressure and then maybe it will go in. She got me close but I still need about 1/4 or 1/2 inch of space to make it. I will try and make time tomorrow. All good pointers from everyone so I’m confident this will be solved. Thank you!

When you get the top aligned and started I used a couple tire irons or pry bars to lift up bottom of spring onto perch. They are good because of the pointed end can hook on the arm, ring of the coil or almost any edge. That can help with leverage it slip and shimmy in the spring in.

Be careful as you get close as there will be some stored energy and if it slips it could kick out at you.

When you get the top aligned and started I used a couple tire irons or pry bars to lift up bottom of spring onto perch. They are good because of the pointed end can hook on the arm, ring of the coil or almost any edge. That can help with leverage it slip and shimmy in the spring in.

Be careful as you get close as there will be some stored energy and if it slips it could kick out at you.
Thanks Kruisr. I think this is going to work with the pry bar because that’s how I almost got it when I was doing it from the top but I can understand why doing it from the bottom now would work better with the pry bar. Ok, I look forward to getting this done. Hopefully today I can make the time. Thanks again!

Thanks to everyone for giving me tips and guidance. I got the springs in and are super happy with the results. She feels so much better now and sits nicer! I’m so happy with it that now I’m going to do the fronts although that wasn’t my plan but I can see how worth while the spring job is.
Anyway, I used all the tips you guys provided. Jacked up one side at a time under the drum and with a Jack under the pumpkin. Had someone push down for me and inserted the bottom first then the top and used a pry bar. It was still tight but with a few minutes of elbow grease she popped right in. No problems anymore on either side. What took me 5 hours to fail the other day was just corrected in about 20 minutes today. Thanks guys! A buddy also gave me a tip on how to hold the isolators in place on the springs while installing. Tie a garbage bag tie (little metal tie with the thin plastic coating) around the isolators and onto the spring. Once the springs are installed the tie pulls right out. Without it the isolator keeps moving out of place.
thanks again guys, another case solved!

Reactions: 1 users

This method worked perfectly! Thank you!!!!!