Rear control arm bushings. Is this ideal for a street car?

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i am replacing upper/lower control arm bushings.

my uppers now are stock and trashed. i am ordering the FMS heavy duty arms with new bushings. $110. new poly axle pushings. $20. new poly lower bushings

i see lots of people (including MM) saying to keep stock style uppers for a street car. so do those arms have good bushings in them out of the box? is there a better bushing for the axle housing? i see so much mixed info on this, don't run poly uppers, run them.. i just want a good reliable set of bushings for everything. i dont really care about cost.

want to get this stuff ordered tonight so i can next day it for the weekend.

axle bushing; 79-04 Mustang Hard Compound Rear Upper Axle Bushings, Black by Prothane at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

arms; 79-04 Mustang Heavy Duty Ford Racing Rear Upper Control Arms at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

lowers i havent found alone yet. you get the idea..

• Sponsors (?)

I think your good either way, I just installed new uppers (J&Ms tubular) w/ poly bushings in the uppers and I also installed poly's in the axel housing (your gonna have fun removing those, haha) in place of stock uppers with really old bushings (all 4). Its way better, had slight wheelhop before but its completely gone now

I think your good either way, I just installed new uppers (J&Ms tubular) w/ poly bushings in the uppers and I also installed poly's in the axel housing (your gonna have fun removing those, haha) in place of stock uppers with really old bushings (all 4). Its way better, had slight wheelhop before but its completely gone now

i read that j&m stuff is good as well. i almost bought upper/lowers from american muscle.

what was hard about the upper bushings? did you use the tool they make for removal?

Poly bushed tubular UCA's & such are fine for drag racing but, they create too much bind for the street and road race use. MM's website, miracerros.com and others have good reads on this subject. Stick with the FRPP uppers for the street.

GT

Poly bushed tubular UCA's & such are fine for drag racing but, they create too much bind for the street and road race use. MM's website, miracerros.com and others have good reads on this subject. Stick with the FRPP uppers for the street.

GT

+1 beat me to it, NOT safe for street driving, little bind going around a turn, then suddenly no bind can cause an accident

so i got my HD fms arms in today. i also ordered poly axle bushings. i did NOT install them.

my axle bushings seemed fine to me. they weren't broken apart, seemed pretty sturdy to me. then again, so did my upper arm bushings. so by the time i got them out, i was pissed off.

i installed the new HD arms anyways. i took it out after i was done, big difference in the car :nice: my tire no longer hits my fender. ie; the rear is no longer swaying back and forth. it feels stout rolling down the road, ride is a tad rougher. not quite the rear end noise it had. next up will be new bushings for the LCA's and new isolators.

just thought i'd report back. i can crank the wheel sharply now and the car handles great. its wet so i cant test the traction yet.

Can somebody explain the axle bind with upper polys a little better please? I just installed BMR upper and lowers with Polys in the uppers (stock axle bushings) and poly lowers..... its a street car that will see a LOT of track duty..... what binds and what causes this inevitable wreck. Thanks. just tryin to learn.

--Ryan