Rear Control Arm Installs

• Sponsors (?)

A good mechanic should not take more than an hour or two. After doing this a few times, I imagine I can do it myself in my garage w/ no lift in ~2hrs or less, as long as I don't have to drop the catback (I've been able to get around it every time so far).

BlackMagic said:
ive seen the lowers changed on a lift in less then 20 minutes. there isnt all that much to do it :nice:

:stupid:

It's not hard at all to do it yourself. If you have some jack stands, jack, some sockets and a torque wrench it's a piece of cake.

Upgrade your shocks, struts and springs while its apart.

Venom4.6 said:
:stupid:

It's not hard at all to do it yourself. If you have some jack stands, jack, some sockets and a torque wrench it's a piece of cake.

Upgrade your shocks, struts and springs while its apart.
ooooopppppp!!!!! :bang: I never used a torque wrench on the bolts of the LCA's after I put my Steeda Springs in!!!! I jus tightened them down with an impact wrench and then checked it by hand.......... :nonono:

So what's the special technique to keep from dropping the catback? I'd hate to have to unbolt my packs again.

I want those Steeda adj billet aluminum LCAs for the rear.

How can you do it in 22 minutes without a lift? You guys can't be using plain ole wrenches and ratchets right?
I think my friend and I could do it in an hour with jacks and stands now that we know what we're doing, but some parts take some crazy muscle.

~B7~ said:
So what's the special technique to keep from dropping the catback? I'd hate to have to unbolt my packs again.

I want those Steeda adj billet aluminum LCAs for the rear.

No real trick - the catback blocks access to the front bolt on the passenger side. I just unbolted it from the midpipe and "persuaded" it to move a little so I could get at the bolt. It's just a clearance issue.

Jay

From the time its on jackstands to the time I take the ratchet off the last tightened bolt, 22 minutes for both arms, and that's not hurrying in any manner. I have coilovers so I dont have to worry about springs on the arms.:D The huppers were easier too because I have dumps.

FL Zinc said:
From the time its on jackstands to the time I take the ratchet off the last tightened bolt, 22 minutes for both arms, and that's not hurrying in any manner. I have coilovers so I dont have to worry about springs on the arms.:D The huppers were easier too because I have dumps.

Keep in mind that if you are using stock springs you may need a compressor to get the spring in. I would also reuse your stock bolts as they are certain to be the right size.

When you get it back...light'em up and enjoy the lack of wheel hop :nice:

You don't need a compressor for the rear springs (or the fronts for that matter) if you jack up the car high enough. You don't even need to get it very high for the LCA to fall all the way down once you undo the rear bolt to let the spring fall off, after you lower it slowly with a jack under the control arm of course.

FL Zinc said:
You don't need a compressor for the rear springs (or the fronts for that matter) if you jack up the car high enough. You don't even need to get it very high for the LCA to fall all the way down once you undo the rear bolt to let the spring fall off, after you lower it slowly with a jack under the control arm of course.

True, just be cautious if you're doing your own LCA's - make sure you don't detach the shock and the LCA with ANY pressure on the spring. You could get a very quick wakeup call from the spring.

FL Zinc said:

I'm not gonna turn this into a pissing match but you need it. I did it myself therefore know that I needed it. I had one fat ass friend in the back of my vert which is already a heavy pig, while we tried to get the last control arm bolt in and we couldn't. The spring was too tall. I got them out without a compressor by just kicking and prying them but they don't just pop right in.

The best idea is to have one available in case you need it. They are free rental so its not like it will cost you anything but it can sure save your ass. My buddy had to use one to put his c springs in!! His aftermarket a arms had a really deep spring bucket that the spring couldn't clear without being compresssed.

Just my $.02

DublOVert said:
I'm not gonna turn this into a pissing match but you need it. I did it myself therefore know that I needed it. I had one fat ass friend in the back of my vert which is already a heavy pig, while we tried to get the last control arm bolt in and we couldn't. The spring was too tall. I got them out without a compressor by just kicking and prying them but they don't just pop right in.

The best idea is to have one available in case you need it. They are free rental so its not like it will cost you anything but it can sure save your ass. My buddy had to use one to put his c springs in!! His aftermarket a arms had a really deep spring bucket that the spring couldn't clear without being compresssed.

Just my $.02

They don't pop right in, I didn't need a compressor to get my Pro Kit springs back in. I found an assistant to help me push the bottom of the LCA up and slid the bolt in. It was a PITA, but we didn't use a spring compressor. I will agree that by compressing the spring a bit it would have made the job a TON easier - if they're free to rent, snag one! BTW, mine is a vert also.

GT2000JAY said:
They don't pop right in, I didn't need a compressor to get my Pro Kit springs back in. I found an assistant to help me push the bottom of the LCA up and slid the bolt in. It was a PITA, but we didn't use a spring compressor. I will agree that by compressing the spring a bit it would have made the job a TON easier - if they're free to rent, snag one! BTW, mine is a vert also.

That's what we did, we lifted with brute force high enough to get the jack under the LCA, then jacked it up until the bolt lined up. Worked like a charm. Takes a little more work but wasn't that bad.