Rear control arms

jason865

Feb 14, 2016
New memeber looking for some advise and info. Looking to upgrade rear control arms or bushings. 1990 gt. Its a daily driver. A few mods done. Upper and lower intake. 70mm throttle body. CAI. Headers to full exhaust. 373 gears. Tires are 245/45/17. Rear lower oval bushings are worn out. Cant find stock replacements. Don't think I need to go tubular arms but would like some kind of upgrade. Quick search I found polyurethane bushings kits for stock arms. Waste of time? Whats my best value? Looking to replace rear springs also. Sagging a little in the rear. Should I go with variable rate or constant rate springs? Any suggestions would be great thanks

• Sponsors (?)

New performance rubber bushings might be what you need. Unfortunately, I have only seen them for the round style. If the SN-95 arms are the same length, that might be an easy and affordable option.

My car has more power than that, and I do not want a harsher ride or wheel hop. The Saleen aluminum arms with the 3 piece bushings looked like the best combo, but not cheap. They might be overkill, but the car will be set.

The only reason I'm thinking of just the poly bushings is that a local speed shop has a set for a good deal. Ordered for someone and they didn't pick them up. Upper control arms are in good shape. Juat want to get the lowers fixed up. Somewhat on a budget and MM control arms aren't in the budget yet. Would the poly work in just the lowers? And the springs... I found a set of moog replacements online cheap. The front was replaced a few years ago with the same brand moog. Would those work? Like I said its a daily and just want to get the arms fixed up.

New performance rubber bushings might be what you need. Unfortunately, I have only seen them for the round style. If the SN-95 arms are the same length, that might be an easy and affordable option.

My car has more power than that, and I do not want a harsher ride or wheel hop. The Saleen aluminum arms with the 3 piece bushings looked like the best combo, but not cheap. They might be overkill, but the car will be set.

They should be. But does it make financial sense is another question.
I can get the full set of bushings for the rear control arms for $50 at a local shop. I cant seem to find the stock rubber oval bushings anywhere local. Thats why I'm leaning in that direction. Would love to do a full suspension but its not in the budget just yet

I think the common consensus is that all cars benefit from aftermarket rear lower control arms with poly bushings. Maximum Motorsports recommends keeping the uppers stock style with rubber bushings. I currently have bbk upper and lowers and they work great though.

What’s your budget? If it were me, and budget allows, I would do lower arms Tubular arms with poly bushings (of some sort) and replace the bushings in the stock uppers (if they need it). They can be found online, I was just looking today actually.

I think the common consensus is that all cars benefit from aftermarket rear lower control arms with poly bushings. Maximum Motorsports recommends keeping the uppers stock style with rubber bushings. I currently have bbk upper and lowers and they work great though.

What’s your budget? If it were me, and budget allows, I would do lower arms Tubular arms with poly bushings (of some sort) and replace the bushings in the stock uppers (if they need it). They can be found online, I was just looking today actually.
I've been looking around also for lower arms. Uppers are fine. Buahings are in good shape. I can just get a great deal on poly bushings and put some money on other upgrade and a few other things I need

I’d prob go with the sport or HD arms

Edit: actually, I did go with them. I have the adjustable HD arms on my car.
I was thinking of going with the non adjustable from MM. But if my stance is off, I’m going to NOT be happy. Did you find you had to adjust the rears a lot to get your stance right? I know you have front coil overs, but I guess my question would pertain to if you ran those rears with the OEM style front setup.

I've been looking around also for lower arms. Uppers are fine. Buahings are in good shape. I can just get a great deal on poly bushings and put some money on other upgrade and a few other things I need
If the installation cost is not bad, go for it. If the stock arms do twist flex a bit, it might help with any binding from the poly bushings. At least that’s the theory with the suspension on bigger Fords with similar suspensions. And I am not convinced cheap tubular control arms are stronger or safer than recalled Harbor Freight jack stands.

I was thinking of going with the non adjustable from MM. But if my stance is off, I’m going to NOT be happy. Did you find you had to adjust the rears a lot to get your stance right? I know you have front coil overs, but I guess my question would pertain to if you ran those rears with the OEM style front setup.

I did run them with the OEM style spring for a long time. I was happy with them. The adjustment range allowed me to dial in the proper amount of "rake" that I thought looked good with the different springs I ran over the years.

If the installation cost is not bad, go for it. If the stock arms do twist flex a bit, it might help with any binding from the poly bushings. At least that’s the theory with the suspension on bigger Fords with similar suspensions. And I am not convinced cheap tubular control arms are stronger or safer than recalled Harbor Freight jack stands.
I'm a technician and installation is free. I wouldn't trust the ebay control arms or the off brand stuff. Thanks for the input and advice

Are the poly bushings a pain to install?? I see only see recommendations for New aftermarket lower controls arms here??
I've installed them on other cars. Torch,drill bits and a ball joint press are the best things to use. Just make sure you clean all the old rubber from the metal sleeves before install the new poly bushings and grease well with the supplied grease. I'm going to do mine on my car in the spring.

Are the poly bushings a pain to install?? I see only see recommendations for New aftermarket lower controls arms here??

As with any job. You're only 1 broken bolt away from a 20min job taking 3 hours. It can be a pain, or not.

The downside to stock lower arms is their shape. It leads to some flex. Fox bodies have a bad enough time with the rear end moving about causing some "rear-steer" so anything that would reduce or eliminate that would be a plus. Poly bushings is a start, but if you plan on building on top of that down the road with quality springs/struts etc, it might make sense to look at the entire arm as a package. Good quality control arm plus a panhard bar is usually touted as one of the best mods you can do for a Fox body rear suspension for eliminating that rear-steer effect, which leads to a much more planted feel when driving the car.

But, it all comes down to what you plan on doing with the car. If you just cruise around on a SUnday to grab a coffee, you probably don't need that level of mods.

I'm in the "buy once, cry once" camp when it comes to doing mods, but I can understand trying to work within a budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user