Rear differential and axles setup, comments please!

Eric94GTvert

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
PA, Nazareth
I am going with the BB&T package #2 like others I see here. I'm going with the Auburn 31 spline Differential, moser axles and lugs.

I know the Eaton is rebuildable but I think I'll try the Auburn exchange program. Send them the old beat dif + $100 and recieve a 100% new differential. The dif just has to be less than 4 years old.

This way I can flog the car with et streets and see what she can do.

How does this sound? Am I leaving anything out?

• Sponsors (?)

zenboy99 said:
I also went with the BB&T #2 package, but I choose the Eaton Posi. Are you going to install it yourself? You'll probably want to get new axle bearings and a rear end install kit.

I won't be doing the install myself. A guy I know gave me a price I couldn't refuse. He runs his stang in "Hot Street" class. He said to get the dif and axles and the rest of the parts could be bought locally.

I personally wouldn't go auburn but that's me. I have heard NUMEROUS horror stories about the "cone" inside them going bad VERY quickly if you do burnouts and such where one tire is on dry pavement and one is on wet pavement. Do a search and see what you find. I have the eaton and the ONLY reason I went with it was because Mark Williams had a special on them and it was the same price as the ford 31 spline t-loc. Had that not been the case, I would have DEFINITELY gone with the ford 31 spline T-loc. I could have bought that for $250 here locally. I've also heard stories of the eaton differential case splitting in half right at the pin, I actually saw one that this had happened to. Hopefully that was an old problem because I really don't want mine to break. I heard they had a bad batch of castings and that was the reason. If I were you I'd go ford 31 spline differential and superior axles. STAY AWAY FROM STRANGE AXLES. They SUCK. I bent mine the FIRST time to the track, and my dad and my buddy Mike both bent theirs as well.

You can not install C clip eliminators with some major surgury to the rear end on a disc brake equipped car. Plus, you will lose the ABS function if you do. The disc will keep the axle from flying out of the car if a C clip breaks. C clip eliminators have a reputation of leaking il too. My dad has them on his 91GT, but he hasn't had any leaking issues.

Killercanary said:
I personally wouldn't go auburn but that's me. I have heard NUMEROUS horror stories about the "cone" inside them going bad VERY quickly if you do burnouts and such where one tire is on dry pavement and one is on wet pavement. Do a search and see what you find. I have the eaton and the ONLY reason I went with it was because Mark Williams had a special on them and it was the same price as the ford 31 spline t-loc. Had that not been the case, I would have DEFINITELY gone with the ford 31 spline T-loc. I could have bought that for $250 here locally. I've also heard stories of the eaton differential case splitting in half right at the pin, I actually saw one that this had happened to. Hopefully that was an old problem because I really don't want mine to break. I heard they had a bad batch of castings and that was the reason. If I were you I'd go ford 31 spline differential and superior axles. STAY AWAY FROM STRANGE AXLES. They SUCK. I bent mine the FIRST time to the track, and my dad and my buddy Mike both bent theirs as well.

I am glad you brought up these points. I have been doing alot of research on the f-150 t-loc and have been asking around about it. I found a hookup that can get me new f-150 dif 31 spline for very close to $200. If this goes though, thats what I'll get. Then have an extra clutches built in.

I will stay away from strange axles for sure.
As for the c clip thing, I wasn't going to get the c-clip eliminators.

How about the Detroit Truetrac? Ever look into it? They're my favorite differetial on the market right now, and when I can stop being the "poor college kid" (this winter), I'll put it in my car so I car actually drive the damn thing again!

Joe