Rear Diffuser Custom Fab

Hey guys, this is my first thread so I apologize if i violate any Stangnet social rules haha.

Anyways, I have been tossing around the idea of building by own rear diffuser. One of my biggest pet peeves is looking for a specific part such as this, and only seeing one company ( APR performance in this case) that makes a quality product at a rather outrageous price. I have decided to do some experimentation with making my own, and was wondering if anyone here has the APR diffuser or any similar, mostly for dimensions but also to hear what you like and don't like about them! look forward to hearing from everyone

• Sponsors (?)

It's a molded component. To make something like what you would get from a retailer, you would have to mock up a molding to the dimensions you want, melt plastic resin down and fill the mold with it, then pull the part from the mold and hope it works.

The diffusers run in the $150-200 range, which isn't too bad when you account for the cost of the dimensioning, tooling, testing, and materials you would need to do it on your own.

americanmuscle.com has plenty. I am sure Jegs, Summit, CJ Pony Parts have some, too.

It's a molded component. To make something like what you would get from a retailer, you would have to mock up a molding to the dimensions you want, melt plastic resin down and fill the mold with it, then pull the part from the mold and hope it works.

The diffusers run in the $150-200 range, which isn't too bad when you account for the cost of the dimensioning, tooling, testing, and materials you would need to do it on your own.

americanmuscle.com has plenty. I am sure Jegs, Summit, CJ Pony Parts have some, too.

I've only ever seen the one from APR for the 05-09's, minus some cheap little ones here and there from companies like Street scene and duraflex. The APR one retails at 500$ roughly for the ABS and 700$ for the carbon fiber... As far as molding goes and that kind of thing i think I've got a pretty good solution figured out, I appreciate the response!

I think the diffuser is just for looks although it is supposed to help with down force. If Ford were truly concerned with down force, there would be a Superbird wing on the back of the car. Not sure it is worth all of the modification for something aesthetic unless you are tracking the car for time trials and want to make a true diffuser (not like what comes stock on the cars).

Molding isn't complex, but it can be expensive depending on what you want to do. If you don't have a lot of experience to making clay casts to mold a mold for the shape you need, you are betting off paying the aftermarket price. Those guys have invested in the tooling and materials and are simply looking to recoup their losses and hopefully profit some off of the product.