rear disc brake conversion

icarus

Founding Member
Jul 29, 2000
Frederick, MD
So, I spent all day installing the FMS rear brake conversion kit, which is basically the Turbo-coupe brakes, axles and proportioning valve and come to find out that I needed to gut the stock proportioning valve. Easy enough but I don't have the plug screw to complete the gutting. Now with my luck, it's Friday night and I won't be able to get one until Monday or Tuesday. :bang: Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

What exactly do you mean by "gut" the stock proportioning valve? Or are you just refering to getting a new one? I was strongly under the impression that a new proportioning valve was not needed.......

Also where did you get your kit from an how much?

:shrug: 10 fingers?

When installing rear disc brakes you have to remove the interior spring and plug (the guts) of the stock proportioning valve (because the stock proportioning valve for my car wasn't designed with disc brakes in mind. So an aftermarket proportioning valve must be installed so that they can be adjusted for the correct bias (front to rear). It's like rendering the stocker useless so the aftermarket valve will work.

I guess what I'm really asking is has anybody put the original plug screw back in and did it work okay.

icarus said:
:shrug: 10 fingers?

Well my instictive thought was plug it with your finger, then I thought well you can't drive the car while trying to plug it with your finger. and then I thought, how much do you really need 10 fingers really, I bet a person could get by with 9, if it meant they could drive.

cliff notes: Bad attempt at being humerous without having anything usefull to say.

What can I say, I got nuthn. :nonono:

:D okay thanks, as a matter of fact I do need all ten fingers.

I'm thinking I might be able to mig the little hole in the stock plug (depending on what it's made out of) and use it until the proper part comes in ( now looking like Wednesday :bang: )

doh, for what it's worth, i had mine together without messing with the prop valve for a very long time and it worked ok. I just didn't know it needed to be gutted. So you can just button it up for now till you can get the part, then 10 minuts and you're good to go.

Just an idea.