Rear Disc Brakes for a 69 Mustang

Old Blue

Jul 15, 2004
Please forgive me if this topic has been done a few times. i was unable to locate any previous topics that could answer my question.

I overheard someone saying that there are existing vehicles which have rear disc brakes on them that will damn near bolt on to my existing 69 rear end, replacing the drum system.

Anyone know about this possibility, or perhaps what vehicles have the brakes to do this? im not too interested in spending large sums of cash for the brand new systems i know to exist. i am cheap...er...a thrifty scottsman

thanks in advance.

Old_Blue640.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Old Blue said:
Please forgive me if this topic has been done a few times. i was unable to locate any previous topics that could answer my question.

I overheard someone saying that there are existing vehicles which have rear disc brakes on them that will damn near bolt on to my existing 69 rear end, replacing the drum system.

Anyone know about this possibility, or perhaps what vehicles have the brakes to do this? im not too interested in spending large sums of cash for the brand new systems i know to exist. i am cheap...er...a thrifty scottsman

thanks in advance.

Old_Blue640.jpg

you could bolt in a complete versailles 9" rear end which is pretty much a direct swap other thn modifying the parking brake cables. there is another option as well that allows you to use late model lincoln mark VII brakes. check out www.ultrastang.com for info on that swap, he even sells the brake brackets you'll need to do the swap. if you are interested in the versailes rear swap, i have one that i was going to use in my car but i need the cash more than disc brakes. it is complete and i even have the parking brake cables too. it has brand new rotors, rebuilt calipers, new wheel bearings and a 3.70 geared center section (non-posi) it also has fresh paint and has been completely detailed. pm me if you are interested.

Yep, the Versailles rear discs are a bolt-on, but they are becoming difficult and pricey to get parts for... I hear calipers and rotors are downright expensive. After considering this, I decided on the Ultrastang Lincoln Mark VII conversion. I can vouch for the quality of the brackets, but I've yet to actually install my kit. However, I was able to get all the parts (from the u-pull-it), brackets, and rebuilt calipers for under $250, which seems damn reasonable in comparison. Also, apparently, the Mark VII brake kit is the same as the SVO/Ford Motorsports rear disc conversion, and is also basically the same as the SSBC basic rear disc conversion (according to the SSBC tech I spoke with at Hot August Nights last year).

Hope this helps. :shrug:

The Ford Motorsports kit is a '99 Ford Exploder rear disc IIRC. It's spendy at $300-400, but it has a miniature drum parking brake built inside the discs - pretty nice setup. This kit is set up to bolt to a big bearing 9 inch rear end.

Currie offers this kit, or you should be able to find a local Ford dealership that sells it as well.

Rumor has it that 89 (probably any late 80s - early 90s) Crown Vic rear discs bolt right up to a small bearing 8" or 9" rear end. It looks to be about the same as the explorer setup, but with the small bearing pattern. I've seen this info on 2 other forums now, so I'd look into it.

SandSprite said:
Rumor has it that 89 (probably any late 80s - early 90s) Crown Vic rear discs bolt right up to a small bearing 8" or 9" rear end. It looks to be about the same as the explorer setup, but with the small bearing pattern. I've seen this info on 2 other forums now, so I'd look into it.

sweet, thank you. i am on the war-path

Old Blue said:
anyone have a ball baprk for what years of Mark VII's i can use? forgot to ask in my excitement
Check www.ultrastang.com for the specific model years, but I think it goes from '84-'90 or something like that.
Solid HoRNZ said:
Where can you buy those Mark VII brakes conversion kit ?? I would be interested on puting some on my '70. Would it fit perfectly on the '70 Mustangs ??
Again, check www.ultrastang.com for the brackets and details about the conversion. I'm installing the Ultrastang kit on my '70, so I hope it would work on yours... :shrug: