Brakes Rear Disc Conversion Rubbing on Shocks

Years ago I did the T-bird rear disc conversion. I'm now going through and trying to get rid of all the rattles/noises and think the caliper spring rubbing on the shock is contributing to some noise.

The first photo shows how the caliper spring rubs against the shock. The second photo shows the bottom shock "perch" better. Does anyone know if someone makes an offset "perch" ? The shock needs to be offset about 1/4" towards the inside to clear the spring, this occurs on both sides.

The other option would be to drill out the attachment hole, for the perch, 1/4" towards the inside to be able to slide the perch inward. The excess hole where it originally was would be filled in with tack weld. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

*edit - phrasing*

shock rub.jpg

shock rub 2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Years ago I did the T-bird rear disc conversion. I'm now going through and trying to get rid of all the rattles/noises and think the caliper spring rubbing on the shock is contributing to some noise.

The first photo shows how the caliper spring rubs against the shock. The second photo shows the bottom shock "perch" better. Does anyone know if someone makes an offset "perch" ? The shock needs to be offset about 1/4" towards the inside to clear the spring, this occurs on both sides.

The other option would be to drill out the attachment hole, for the perch, 1/4" towards the inside to be able to slide the perch inward. The excess hole where it originally was would be filled in with tack weld. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

*edit - phrasing*

shock rub.jpg

shock rub 2.jpg

Hi Bruno , I had the same problem with mine and I changed the rears to Wilwood internal emergency brakes to get rid of that spring. Only way I knew.

John

Reactions: 1 user
Slot the bottom hole in the bracket and swing it to the inside. Or....just make a new bracket. It doesn't have to look exactly like the factory one.

Reactions: 1 user