rear end diff

• Sponsors (?)

I think you should tell us HOW you intend to use the car. Questions such as:
  • Is this a track car or a street driven daily driver?
  • How much HP are you making?
  • What are your PLANS for the car?
  • What is your budget for the project?
Otherwise this is a purely academic discussion. Why? Because rarely are real world DIY'ers made of $$ with unlimited budgets.

same thing, choices
1. posi is a trade name same as limited slip, trac lock etc
2. locked rear end or spool
3. detroit locker
Nothing wrong with the stock 8.8 ford posi unit. Many drag race stangs with slicks use them without a problem.

I think you should tell us HOW you intend to use the car. Questions such as:
  • Is this a track car or a street driven daily driver?
  • How much HP are you making?
  • What are your PLANS for the car?
  • What is your budget for the project?
Otherwise this is a purely academic discussion. Why? Because rarely are real world DIY'ers made of $$ with unlimited budgets.
street driven daily driver/ spirited driving

My experience with the Detroit Locker on the street is not a positive one. Noisy sometimes, accelerated tire wear, kinda weird on turns and slick conditions. I think it is a trade off over an LSD. It is awesome if it fits your needs though.

Stick with a limited slip. The full locker style rears tend to be more trouble than it's worth if the car is street driven, especially in the rain.

BTW, posi is a GM trademarked named for their limited slip. Gm is "Positraction", while ford is "Traction-lok". They are both limited slip differentials

I`m not sure if the ranger is a traction-lok LSD but they do have a 7.5 LSD that is interchangable(so ive heard) as is the final drive.

https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

Stick with a limited slip. The full locker style rears tend to be more trouble than it's worth if the car is street driven, especially in the rain.

BTW, posi is a GM trademarked named for their limited slip. Gm is "Positraction", while ford is "Traction-lok". They are both limited slip differentials

As a tech could you confirm?

Good bit of information there. I did not know that.