Rear end noise after MM LCA's install

IBChillin32182

Founding Member
Mar 23, 2000
Shepherdsville, KY
After installing Maximum Motorsports Extreme LCA's there is now a howling noise coming from the rear end. I knew that some road noise would be present but my flowmaster exhaust with no cats can't come anywhere close to drowning out this sound like MM's website said. I have to turn my aftermarket radio with sub 3/4 of the way up to overpower the sound. Could there be a bad bearing in my rear end somewhere causing this or do the spherical bearings in the lca's transmit much more noise than MM claims?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think its gear whine. My last mustang had gear whine from the gears being installed incorrectly and it sounded totally different than this. The gear whine also went away when I let off the gas. This noise is not affected by load on the rear end.

I've got FRPP UCAs in my 02 and there's definitely more rear end noise getting into the interior...and those arms have rubber bushings that are only moderately stiffer than the originals.

Just like you get transmission noise into the interior with a short shifter, I think rear end noise getting into the interior with stiff-bushed control arms should be expected.

That sound is 100% normal for XD control arms...hell it even says they transmit more noise and w/not in the product page on MM's site ;) I thought my last rear was failing because of the sound, then my buddy got the same lca's and it sounds the same! MM really doesn't claim they don't transmit noise...they are pretty clear on the fact that they do (just call and ask lol...) that's why they reccomend HD's for street cars and daily drivers.

Get over it and have some fun with the car - or sell them and go with HD's! Either way you'll be happy :nice:

That sound is 100% normal for XD control arms...hell it even says they transmit more noise and w/not in the product page on MM's site ;) I thought my last rear was failing because of the sound, then my buddy got the same lca's and it sounds the same! MM really doesn't claim they don't transmit noise...they are pretty clear on the fact that they do (just call and ask lol...) that's why they reccomend HD's for street cars and daily drivers.

Get over it and have some fun with the car - or sell them and go with HD's! Either way you'll be happy :nice:

Ill trade him my adjustable HD's for his Extremes...LOL...Honestly though, mine have a little more noise than b4, but its not unbearable. I think its normal.