Rear End Noise (Whining)

ok, bit the bullet and paid the dealership to lower my wife's 06 GT, and they did a great job. more expensive than anywhere else, but i figured if i ever had any problems later, they would be more apt to repair stuff under warranty. anyway, driving the car the other day, not right after they actually lowered it, but a few days later, i noticed the rear end making a noise, well actually, i thought it was the front tires rubbing, my wife is actually the one who figured out it was the rear end. the funny thing is, it only makes a whining noise whenever turning into somewhere, if you are going very slow, you won't hear it, but let it be rolling pretty good, and every time the noise is there. almost sounds like the rear brakes are dragging while turning. so, me being the non mechanic that i am, i take the car out, turn off the TCS, and the noise is still there, i figured with it off, the noise would go away. anyway, has anybody else experienced this? if so, what was it? is there a TSB out for it? by the way, this car only has 1300 miles on it, so it is still brand new. it has a date in the shop for other things anyway, but i figured if some of you guys have experienced this same scenario, then i would at least know what to start to tell them. thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Did they change the lower control arms? It shouldn't whine at all although from what you're saying, it's less of a whine than a rubbing sound. Check the handbrake cables aren't caught on something.

It could be something as simple as the wheels rubbing on the arches or inner wheel well as lowering the rear of the car will move the axle in relation to the body and you may need an adjustable panhard bar to centre the axle again. More so if you've fitted wider tires too.

the new mustangs are having issues with rear end noise, albeit traction lock chatter and pinion bearings. chances are its a rear end issue entirely unrelated to the drop. by the way im assuming you used sport springs to lower you car?unless your using way wider tires, i seriously doubt you tires would rub with jus sport springs. they dont drop the car that much jus enough to fill up the wheel wells nicer.

Inexpensive Solution

OK. This issue has been addressed in 2 previous Forums. Lots of people have this issue, and I have had it myself. Now I don't. :D

There is a very simple-inexpensive solution that has been proven to work. I could get into what causes this "whining-sound", and what Ford Mechanics will tell you, but it would take way more typing than I'm willing to do right now.

Go to your local Dealership, and ask them for Motorcraft XL-3 Gear Friction Modifier. It should cost $4.95. Ask them to pour this directly into your rear-axle. Drive the car off the lot, and do about 3 slow "Figure 8's", and Voila!!!!!! Whining Gone!!!!! :D

It has worked for everyone that has tried it! Some 'Stangs are built without XL-3; it's a factory flaw. :nonono:

Disclaimer: This method only works if your whining-sound is generated from the rear wheels.

McQueens Dream said:
ok, bit the bullet and paid the dealership to lower my wife's 06 GT, and they did a great job. more expensive than anywhere else, but i figured if i ever had any problems later, they would be more apt to repair stuff under warranty. anyway, driving the car the other day, not right after they actually lowered it, but a few days later, i noticed the rear end making a noise, well actually, i thought it was the front tires rubbing, my wife is actually the one who figured out it was the rear end. the funny thing is, it only makes a whining noise whenever turning into somewhere, if you are going very slow, you won't hear it, but let it be rolling pretty good, and every time the noise is there. almost sounds like the rear brakes are dragging while turning. so, me being the non mechanic that i am, i take the car out, turn off the TCS, and the noise is still there, i figured with it off, the noise would go away. anyway, has anybody else experienced this? if so, what was it? is there a TSB out for it? by the way, this car only has 1300 miles on it, so it is still brand new. it has a date in the shop for other things anyway, but i figured if some of you guys have experienced this same scenario, then i would at least know what to start to tell them. thanks for any help!

I had a rear axle issue with my 06 GT with only 1,400 miles on it. I took it into the deal today, 9-25-06 and they knew exactly what the problem was, the ring and pinion gears.
They told me that ther is a (Tech Service Bulletin) TSB 0520-2.

Contact your dealer and ask them about this TSB

Faspony

Reign - Did it take the dealer long to put the XL-3 in your rear diff? Did you ask the parts department or service department to do this? I just called a local Ford dealership and the service department said they woudl charge me $90 to pour the XL-3 in my rear diff.

Also, fasPony - I have heard that the TSB calls for the dealership to replace your diff with a weaker diff. Therefore, I don't want them to perform this TSB.

Venom800 said:
Reign - Did it take the dealer long to put the XL-3 in your rear diff? Did you ask the parts department or service department to do this? I just called a local Ford dealership and the service department said they woudl charge me $90 to pour the XL-3 in my rear diff.

Also, fasPony - I have heard that the TSB calls for the dealership to replace your diff with a weaker diff. Therefore, I don't want them to perform this TSB.

No; it didn't take long at all. (20-25 minutes from the moment that I walked into the dealership) Before that, I had been to 3 different dealerships to get the rear-noise checked out until someone told me about the XL-3. I took a copy of the Service Bulletin (TSB) 05-21-2 to the Service-Counter and asked the guy to ONLY add the XL-3 because I'm not interested in installing a weaker/lighter Differential. (XL-3 is mentioned in the 3rd "Installation Tips" Bullet on the TSB Report.) He got the Rear-End Tech to add the XL-3, and Voila!!!! I haven't heard the sound since. :D They didn't charge me anything because I showed them that it is a procedure listed in the TSB, which means that it is Warranty-Covered.

Venom800 said:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

The TSB calls for just replacing the ring and pinion gears only. However, the day I got it back the rear started to whine. The service tech said the bring it back Monday.
I am wondering if the gears were cheap foreign after market stuff with "Made in China" stamped on them.
I know that foreign body parts have to made with looser tolerances so as not to infringe on copy right laws. I got this from the body shop manager at my Ford dealership. So it may be that they use foreign after market parts when doing a TSB repair. I plan to ask the dealer Monday when I bring my car back for the second repair on the rear axle.

If need be, I'll take it to a tranny shop I know and have them install good quality parts.

Faspony

faspony said:
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

The TSB calls for just replacing the ring and pinion gears only. However, the day I got it back the rear started to whine. The service tech said the bring it back Monday.
I am wondering if the gears were cheap foreign after market stuff with "Made in China" stamped on them.
I know that foreign body parts have to made with looser tolerances so as not to infringe on copy right laws. I got this from the body shop manager at my Ford dealership. So it may be that they use foreign after market parts when doing a TSB repair. I plan to ask the dealer Monday when I bring my car back for the second repair on the rear axle.

If need be, I'll take it to a tranny shop I know and have them install good quality parts.

Faspony
Cheap ,ill fitting non oem sheet metal is often that way from one of two reasons 1. the manufacture is using worn out dies and stamps.. bought used from an OEM supplier. and Two, they backward engineered the OEM sheet metal or part, created a die, mold, stamp from that. Poor fitting aftermarket replacement parts are that way because they are made cheaply.... period.

OEM parts are used on OEM warranty repairs. Never the less, if the tech who set of the gears did not know what he was doing. you can ruin a set of gears in just a few miles and have noise from a low hum, to an out right howl from the very first mile. It's all in the set up.

McQueens Dream said:

I just had the ring and pinion replaced under TSB 05-20-2 and now I am experiencing just what you guys had. The dealer wants me to bring the car back Monday for a test drive.
Thanks to your posting and the TSB 06-19-2 that solved your problem I can now show them just what the problem is with mine and how to fix it. After replacing the ring and pinion and now the clutch pack, this thing should be good for a while, I hope:shrug:

I know the GT trannys are made in Mexico and I am wondering if the rear axles are as well. Perhaps this is why there are so many problems with the trannys and axles, what does the forum think.:flag:

Thanks, Faspony