rear end swap from '68 to '69?

Taranis

Nov 12, 2004
Austin, Texas
I am in the middle of restoring a '68 Coupe and just bought a 9" rear end from Currie.
The problem comes in that there is a '69 Mach 1 in the paper for cheap. Before I even look at it, will the 9" I just bought fit in the Mach 1?

Thanks to all who respond. I want to jump on this quickly.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok. Here's the lowdown from the seller, I'm gonna take a look at the car tomorrow.
He says that the engine currently a 351 and is not original. The torque boxes, trunk, and doors are good. There is no-to-very little rust on the body and has original paint. One problem is that the previous owner (before him) hit a rock with the front tire and it cracked the shock tower and separated the fender apron from the frame rail. He says that the frame rails are straight, that it's just the fender apron that needs to be replaced. He wants 4700 for the car. What do y'all think?

Can Anyone give me a quick, easy way to tell if the frame is straight on this thing?
Gracias

Need Help!

I went and saw the car today. It pretty much needs a new interior, floor pans, glass, fender aprons, and fenders. The frame, torque boxes, toe boards, and the rest of the body look pretty good.

What are y'all's thoughts? I would like to act on this tonight, so if you could post some input I would be much appreciated.

Taranis said:
It pretty much needs a new interior, floor pans, glass, fender aprons, and fenders.

So, it pretty much needs everything in front of the firewall, everthing inside including the floors, and it needs new glass. Plus you'll also have to paint it after all that. I think you'll triple the asking price by the time you buy it and put all that into it. It is hard to tell without pictures, but based on what you've said I'd say try to talk him down if you really want it. It doesn't even sound safe to drive the way tou've described the shock tower and apron.

Save al the hardware from the 9", as the axle tubes are bigger in diameter.

I did the swap on my old 68, putting in the rear from a 70 Mach. Other difference is the diameter of the universal joint caps on the 9", as that are smaller than the 8".

Good swap, though!