Rear ends need to know!!!!!

I was reading here on the boards that the autos and the slap sticks have different gears auto 3.73 and manuals 3.45.
Is this true???
I have an 88 auto that my girl drives and i'll just swap ring gears.
Plus do i have to modify anything to make the auto run or what not sure what to expect with different gears in the auto i don't really drive it much.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Better put a big arsk push bar on the back of that auto so it don't get runned over :rlaugh: for the effort of swapping 2 diff's, it would make more sense to buy a 4.10 gear set for the one and leave the auto 3.73.(imo)

This will take you directly to Cougar/TB/stang interchange.

http://coolcats.net/tech/general/axleinfo.html

Should be able to answer most of your Q's. Once you figure out what you want and what will fit, call your wrecker or just take the codes and go snoop around yourself.

Unless there's something wrong with the 3.73 rear she already has, I'm not sure why you want to change it as the other ratios will make the auto even slower.......

HD

79-04 Base model mustangs (non v8) all get 7.5's
86-04 GT Cobra GTS Mach1 bullitt all get versions of the 8.8.....
83-86 TC's get 7.5 rears
87-88 TC's get 8.8 rears.......

auto 87-93 2.3's got the 3.73 rears while 5 spd 87-93 5 spds got 3.45 gearing.
I would not recommend swapping the 3.45's into the auto and taking her 3.73's if thats what your thinking.... her car will be ungodly slow!!!!!

latroca1 said:
I was reading here on the boards that the autos and the slap sticks have different gears auto 3.73 and manuals 3.45.
Is this true???
I have an 88 auto that my girl drives and i'll just swap ring gears.
Plus do i have to modify anything to make the auto run or what not sure what to expect with different gears in the auto i don't really drive it much.

Thanks

Just to make sure you know, the pinion gear must also be replaced with the correct one when swapping gears. If not, your rear end will encounter the most catastophic death you can imagine as soon as you try to move the car. I actually rebuilt the rearend in my '93 lx 4-cyl a few months ago (getting noisy). I had new bearings pressed onto the carrier, put new axle bearings in and replaced all the seals. Its not a difficult job, just make sure you get a dial indicator and a magnetic base when you set the backlash on the new gears. That measurement is critical. Good Luck to you! :nice: