Rear Sway Bar Broke???

97GTSTANG

Founding Member
May 25, 2000
Virginia
I have attached pics, is that the rear sway bar? its hanging on the right side. I am assuming its broken. What can cause that? What replacement do you all recommend? is stock ok, or something else? What is the price range? Install time?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,468
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,556
  • Sponsors (?)

Yes, that is the rear sway bar. It is held on by 4 bolts and locks in the lower control arms. You can remove it and still drive the car, but it will be a little more sloppy feeling than usual. The v6 cars came with thinner front sway bars and no rear sway bar, so it should still be safe to drive until you get a replacement.
As for a replacement, a stocker would be fine. There are plenty of companies that would be happy to sell you stiffer sway bars, but unless you plan on fiddling with the suspension and doing auto-X or road racing, you'd probably be best with stock. If you do go aftermarket, remember that a stiffer sway bar in the rear will make the car oversteer slightly more.. which can be dangerous. Probably you would never notice that though.

The sway bars help to keep the car level during cornering. Without a rear sway bar, you will just notice a little more body roll than usual.
Sorry, but I don't know about the cost for various sway bars. If I were buying new, I'd buy a stiffer aftermarket bar. If money were tight, I'd buy a used bar, either from a GT or cobra, and source it from local j-yards or evil-bay.

Common problem breaking there. They always break there. Just a bad design. I had one on my 96 Cobra break, and my buddies 97 Cobra broke there too. Both of them and yours on the passenger side too. Just get another used one from a junkyard. Don't waste your money on an aftermarket sway bar. They do virtually nothing. I couldn't tell when I had mine off for a little while vs. when I reinstalled one.