rearend vibrating very bad after trac-loc rebuild

tiptopss

Apr 27, 2009
hey, car is vibrating pretty bad once it hits like 75mph and higher, It only started when I put in my new trac-loc rebuild kit, I had the axels out, ring gear out, and ring gear off of the trac-loc, and trac-loc token apart, dident touch the pinion, and reused the stock shims agian, ring gear with trac-loc was very very tight going back in, and I dident set the backlash or anything, because i dident touch the pinion gear, any ideas? thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

Did you mark the driveshaft orientation before you removed and reinstalled? It might be the driveshaft balance and not what you did in the rear. If you didn't mark it, remove the driveshaft and rotate and reinstall and see if it goes away.

Did you mark the driveshaft orientation before you removed and reinstalled? It might be the driveshaft balance and not what you did in the rear. If you didn't mark it, remove the driveshaft and rotate and reinstall and see if it goes away.

He's right - there should be a yellow paint dab on the driveshaft and a yellow dab on the differential drive flange. Line the paint marks up and that will help reduce the balance problems. Also be sure the dog bone (big cast iron weight) is present on the differential housing. It's purpose is to dampen out driveline vibrations.

o.k guys, thanks a million, I will try that saturday and post back my results, also when it hits that speed, you can feel it alot coming up through my shifter, its a 5 speed, it viberates my arm pretty good

Did you remove the driveshaft from the companion flange? I wonder sometimes if this really would have massive vibrations consequences if it was flopped. I need to take the time and flip my driveshaft 180 one time just to see if this has any effect. I can't understand why it rotating it 180 would change anything if the driveshaft is nuetral balance.
I would say something has changed in the rear as far as gear contact. It is rumored that when you take the ring away from the pinion you have to put it back in the same exact place it was gear tooth for gear tooth. If you were careful with the shims and they are in the same place as they were before, and the rebuild didn't change any critical dimensions between the ring and pinion, then i wonder what else it could be.
When you say the ring gear with the traclock was very very tight going back in does that mean your backlash got used up somehow. Did it feel like there was about as much back lash after as there was before you undid it?