Rebuild What Cubic Inch Should I go With?

Manewaymja2

Feb 11, 2009
Hey guys im rebuilding my 1987 GT Mustang 302w and at first i was just going to do a Top end upgrade with RPM Heads, Hardened push Rods, Guide plates, RPM Intake, E Cam & 1.6 Scorpion Roller Rockers (Pedestal Mount).

Well recently ive decided to just take the entire engine out and maybe do a rebuild on the botom end as well. Say new Rings, Bearings and hone the cylinders.

I havent taken the engine apart yet or even done a compression test yet but i am leaning towards doing the complete motor. I Now spray 100/150 Shot on this motor in stock form for drag racing use so i will be going back that way once the rebuild is complete.

My Question is, should i do a bigger Cubic Inch (331 / 347) or just stay with the 302 (Worst case Bore .030).? Im guessing that with the Top End kit N/A on a 302 (306) I will not see more than 300-330 HP/Tourque. Will going bigger Cubich Inch make more Power and will i be able to spray it with 100 - 200 shot Nitrous with the bigger Cubic inch. And what type Piston If i Change? (Piston Selection/Dish/Flat/ Dome ETC)

What do you guys suggest. Im staying with the Stock Block and maybe the Pistons and Crank as well if they are OK because the set up even with the NOS will not net over 550 HP (Block will Break after that).

Please all advice needed as this is going to take place shortly.
Thanks Matt

• Sponsors (?)

if you have the motor out, and have the funds, go ahead and stroke it to a 347. If not, just have it cleaned up and if it needs bored, so be it. In terms of pistons, the style depends on the motor your building and the heads your using as you may want domed or dished depending on head size and desired compression. A Large cam would probably need flycut pistons and id suggest going with something other than an FRPP cam, or a custom grind if you have the funds. If you're going to spray it, you'll want to used forged pistons (some will say hyper. is fine) but if your going to spend the money, might as well go forged.

Another suggestion is to take your time, and wait before you order parts. Do more research and you'll start to see which direction is best for what you're wanting to do.

As for the stroker Kit, im hoping I dont have to do more than just clean the cylinders, as i will have to ship the block to the US. If I have to so be it If Not then Clean up is the way im going.

Pistons- If i reuse the Stock ones i think they were forged ( I will be using Forged if other wise)

Cam- I already have that Cam so im gonna go with that. I dont want to have to go through Valve/Piston Clearence Problems. I think it has enough lift (.497) for a 300-330 N/A HP Motor on 150-200 NOS Shot.

I Can Afford the Stroker Kit. Just wondering if its worth the $$$$$$. Im Sure the Heads are not gonna be able to handle a bit more that 500 HP. And with a 150 Shot NOS That should put the motor at say 450-480 HP and more with the 200 Shot.

If you're wanting 347ci...stroker kit is the only way to go.

TFS fast as cast heads are very good heads. Theyll take what youre planning to throw at them. As for the cam, lift is only part of the equation in terms of being the best for you're combo. there are many other cams that you can use that wont cause PTV issues, and if youre getting new pistons, you may not have issues at all. If you're dead set on an alphabet cam, go with 1.7 rockers to get more out of that cam. Whats the nitrous kit you're using?

Cold Fusion Wet Kit.

The Cam i have is a E cam and the Pedestal Scorpion Rockers are 1.6 roller rockers, Stock length Hardened pushrods, Edlebrock Performer heads. Like i said just trying not to exceed the Block HP Range when using the NOS.

I think ill check the Compression ratio and deceide from their as the block is already week and boring it only makes it weeker. If the ratio is good then just Top end build (maybe clean the cylinders up New rings and bearings).

But If i had to do the block my question is what Stroker would be good for the Nitrous set up (200 Shot)?

Cold Fusion Wet Kit.

The Cam i have is a E cam and the Pedestal Scorpion Rockers are 1.6 roller rockers, Stock length Hardened pushrods, Edlebrock Performer heads. Like i said just trying not to exceed the Block HP Range when using the NOS.
I think ill check the Compression ratio and deceide from their as the block is already week and boring it only makes it weeker. If the ratio is good then just Top end build (maybe clean the cylinders up New rings and bearings).

But If i had to do the block my question is what Stroker would be good for the Nitrous set up (200 Shot)?

you wont exceed blocks tolerance. Neither stroker kit will benefit Nitrous directly. 347,331, doesnt matter which, the internals are what will affect how much you can spray.