Rebuilding 289... please advise on manifold/carb/cam

Squint

Jun 21, 2002
I have a 68 convertible that is in a thousand pieces right now. The engine was a C code 289" with an Autolite 2100 carb (I'm pretty sure those are the part numbers, it's been a long time!)

Anyway, I'd like to put a four barrel on there. I'm trying to keep it pretty close to stock, but want to make it some more fun as well. Do you have any advice on what I should be looking for in the way of intake manifold, carb, and camshaft? I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are choices, but I know very little about this so I'll welcome them all. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

goin to a stock lookin four barrel setup wont give you the fun you deserve. Go with a performer rpm/ sealth manifold, 280 comp cam and lifters and a holley 600-650 mechanical carb. headers will help but for sure good mufflers and 2.5 inch pipes

Squint said:
I have a 68 convertible that is in a thousand pieces right now. The engine was a C code 289" with an Autolite 2100 carb (I'm pretty sure those are the part numbers, it's been a long time!)

Anyway, I'd like to put a four barrel on there. I'm trying to keep it pretty close to stock, but want to make it some more fun as well. Do you have any advice on what I should be looking for in the way of intake manifold, carb, and camshaft? I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are choices, but I know very little about this so I'll welcome them all. Thanks!

If you're gonna keep the stock rear gears, go with the Edelbrock Performer cam, their Performer 500 carb, and Performer intake. You'll get more power and gas mileage. If you're gonna do deep gears, the Performer RPM, cam and 600 carb work well. If you want to have a little fun, yo have to keep the engine in the power band. With the RPM set, that band is revved up a little bit. I stay with vacuum secondaries simply out of prefrence and tuneability (my tuneability, not the carbs!!). Some people like mechanicals which is cool, too, but a concern if gas mileage is important. Also, an open element air cleaner will help it all breathe. K & N if you have a few extra $$. Lastly, replace those points with a Pertronix unit and get a better than stock coil, either Pertronix or something else. You'll have more than stock power with this setup and it will be noticable. Much more and you'll need a Tractionlock rear end because that open rear will burn the tire off from take off if you let it run.