Rebuilding 4.6 Sohc Questions

justadodgeman

Jan 26, 2014
we got a 96 mustang gt that the mechanic said is trashed which we are skeptical because the car runs great no smoke from exhaust but its ticking. we are gonna run a compression test and see what it looks like in the next couple of days and see if we can fix what we think the problem is. It has a tick under the passengers side valve cover which we think no oil is getting to, but if it is trashed what would be yalls best estimate on how much it would cost to rebuild ourselves. and if its best to get a used motor what cars could I get this same motor out of and how much should I pay for a used motor. any help is appreciated.
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpdAP6Pcmgg

• Sponsors (?)

Elarm may be right about the valve. As he stated, running the engine with a sound like that coming out of it will like spell disaster. I think you're going to have to find the truth of the condition through invasive surgery. Sounds real bad.

The engine may be toast, but if the rest of the car is in descent condition, it may be worth repairing.

You'll have to tear it down to see exactly what's going on. If the issues limited to just the heads, you could swap on some good heads and keep running. If the bottom end is damaged, I would look for a used or j-yard engine which you can swap in. It is a lot of labor and cost to rebuild an engine (especially the 4.6) compared to finding a used one to drop in.

The engine may be toast, but if the rest of the car is in descent condition, it may be worth repairing.

You'll have to tear it down to see exactly what's going on. If the issues limited to just the heads, you could swap on some good heads and keep running. If the bottom end is damaged, I would look for a used or j-yard engine which you can swap in. It is a lot of labor and cost to rebuild an engine (especially the 4.6) compared to finding a used one to drop in.
Alright so we will most likely be buying a junk yard motor because weve had this car since it was new and its been stolen three times and its been through hell but its always found its way back haha (we just got it back from dude who stole it about a year ago and didn't start sounding like this till we changed oil and fuel filter after its been sitting all that time) so whats a good price for a motor with nothing over 70,000 miles on it