Rebuilding my 82 convertible fox body

Ksampson

May 11, 2020
Wyoming
So I am rebuilding a 1982 mustang Fox body convertible I purchased for $300 it’s in really bad shape just wondering if there’s any complete body kits out there to redo it I want to take the body back to original the motor of building a 500 hp 302 has a five speed behind that any help is appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

First off the car is not a 1982 but probably a 1983 because Ford didn't offer the Convertible until the 1983 model year
The car came with either the 2.3-I4, 3.8 V6 or the 5.0 V8. I'm not sure of the power output of the other engines but the original 5.0/302 was a 4 barrel carbureted engine developing 175 HP and with some modifications maybe could produce 225 - 250 HP. So before dropping a 500 HP Coyote motor into that old body I'd make sure it will be able to handle the HP

There were many "coach builders" that did convertible conversions on various makes and models, where the original manufacturer didn't offer a convertible. Many coach builders offered convertible conversions for 1979-1982 Capri and Mustang.

There were many "coach builders" that did convertible conversions on various makes and models, where the original manufacturer didn't offer a convertible. Many coach builders offered convertible conversions for 1979-1982 Capri and Mustang.

I wasn't aware that there were coach builders that did convertible conversions prior to the introduction of the "Factory" convertible in 1983. Even then the conversion of the 83's was also done by a coach builder. The cars came off the line as a Notchback with the frame reinforcements required by the road safety departments in the US and Canada and then sent to the Coach Builder.
In my personal efforts to find some non Ford parts unique to the 83 I found out the Coach Builder that did the conversions for Ford is no longer in business. So I'm SOL on that front.

With respect to interior & exterior parts for your vehicle from the back of the front seats forward including door panels, parts for the roof mechanism and maybe the Back seat are readily available from parts suppliers like LMR & CJPony. I suspect the rear side panels, arm rests and other parts related to the back seat interior trim may be difficult if not impossible to find even for the 83. Maybe these panels and other trim parts from maybe an 84 the first year I believe standardized Ford parts were used in the convertibles may be easier to find and modify to fit to your unique vehicle

Good luck

1983-93 convertibles were "finished" by Cars & Concepts. Those cars were shipped from DAP to C&C with a fiberglass cap in place of a solid roof. The caps were sent back to Ford to be re-used in subsequent car shipments. Finished convertibles were shipped back to DAP for final QA and water leak testing. The same company also did T-roof installations for 'factory' T-roof orders. They also did aftermarket T-roof installations if you were close enough to take it directly to them, or if you weren't they had an authorized network of T-roof dealers/installers in the U.S. and Canada that used C&C kits.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
To the OP. A picture of your car will very quickly determine if it is a factory '83 and on vert or a coach built custom (they have a very unique look to them - very similar to the ASC McLaren verts.

Here is an image of a '79-82 coach built vert.

mustang2withwords.jpg

The almost flush tonneau over the retracted top is the give away of a coach built vert.