Rebuilt T45 Concerns

Dylan Rollheiser

Aug 6, 2013
So heres the story. So i bought a rebuilt t45 and i noticed reverse was a little tough to get in and 1st gear would hang up a little when trying to shift to second. I wasnt too concerned seeing as it has no oil and it has been sitting for a while. Hasnt been ran through a car yet. My cars in pieces at the shop ( going back together tomorrow) and im just curious if you guys see this as a big deal. I feel like once i put it in the car and drive it for a while with fresh oil, things will loosen up and start shifting normally again. But currently shifting it on the bench out of the car, reverse is hard to go into unless you slam it into gear. And first gear will sometimes hang up and you have to pull it out of gear once or twice to get it to come out.

• Sponsors (?)

There's a Ford TSB regarding an updated procedure to "shim" the 5th/reverse shift fork. There will NEVER be a better time to work on this transmission than when it's already out. I wish I had the work done on my T45 when it was in the shop. Unfortunately I didn't find out about the Ford TSB until after it was already back in the car.