Recommendations For Longtubes For A 2003 Gt

bearcat03

Dec 7, 2016
Hey fellas, Im new to the stangnet forum however not entirely new to forums in general. I thought I would come here to look for some thoughts on what I should do to my 2003 Mustang GT this spring.

A little back story, this is my third mustang, previous two were 98s. Have always loved the look of the 99-04 body. Bought the car with 85k on it and had to drive it as a daily and put about 15k highway miles onto it in a hurry.

Now this spring I will be looking to spend about 2-3k on the car in some upgrades. My list so far is 03-04 Cobra bumper swap(mine has horrible road rash), Under drive pulleys, gonna replace plugs and coils since it just rolled past 100k, tint, probably will look to redo the suspension and lower it and then the big one is gonna be Long tubes w/ short x. I bought the car and it had aftermarket rims, and SLP LM exhaust with off road X. My main question would be which brand do you recommend for these long tubes? As of now I am planning to order SLP Longs w/ short x because I want to have a full SLP exhaust. I love the sound of mine now and I wanna deepen it a bit with long tubes while also gaining some power in the process.

Does anyone know stang owners with SLP long tubes? What kind of tone change in the sound of the exhaust should I expect? What kind of price should I expect for a shop install? I thought of doing it myself but me and my friends are novices so I dont wanna snap my engine studs off trying to do it myself.

If you could just let me know what you think I would appreciate it!

• Sponsors (?)

Skip the under drives but the rest is a solid plan.

I've used both BBK and pypes long tubes for mod motor cars and have no issues with either's quality.

They will be loud with the SLP if you don't already have the muffler. I might suggest a Magnaflow catback (Same basic sound but none of that crappy rasp) and an H pipe. It'll have more of a rumble vs euro sound.

But I'm getting old and find my taste changing. (I have slp's and an o/r X on my car and am going to change them).

Skip the under drives but the rest is a solid plan.

I've used both BBK and pypes long tubes for mod motor cars and have no issues with either's quality.

They will be loud with the SLP if you don't already have the muffler. I might suggest a Magnaflow catback (Same basic sound but none of that crappy rasp) and an H pipe. It'll have more of a rumble vs euro sound.

But I'm getting old and find my taste changing. (I have slp's and an o/r X on my car and am going to change them).
Thanks for the reply squeak, only reason I am doing pullies is because I have a squeaky one so I am just going to replace them all and I figured I might as well get some more efficient ones while I'm at it. I do have the Loudmouth mufflers already and love how they sound so I just wanted to keep the brand of exhaust consistent because I imagine they are engineered to work best together.

The charging problems with the under drives is not worth the trouble for the 4-5 rwhp you'll maybe gain. Replace the squeaky pulley and spend the money elsewhere. Hell I have a set of under drives sitting in the shed you can have if you want them bad enough and want to pay shipping. (The balancer is heavy).

Your alternator will have to work overtime due to being spun slower and end up having a bad day. Mine locked up, broke the pulley off the shaft (cool actually) and blew the shaft out the rear of the alt. It was quite impressive actually. The car had under drives on it for about 30k miles from my best estimate. I've seen other horror stories of charging issues etc. It gets enhanced more if you have aftermarket stereo's and accessories.

We won't even get into engine harmonics from using an under driven crank pulley. They have been known to blow up oil pump gears and take out entire engines when spun/driven hard.

As far as brand matching, you only need to match the mid pipe to the long tubes. They are not all quite the same in length etc so you're best off matching those. Otherwise a trip to the exhaust shop might be in order.

Good luck and welcome to the site since I forgot the first time.