Red Block, is that Wrong?

XXBULLETSXX

Mar 30, 2005
Kannapolis, NC
I've been watching a lot of overhaulin' and noticed that Chip Foose paints some of his engine blocks to match the color of the car. I thought since my engine is getting ready to go back together tomorrow I would paint the block and heads red and my engine bay gloss black. I thought it would really look good.
I caught a lot of crap for having done it from my friends. So time to ask you guys and gals. Is it wrong to paint a ford block red to match your car?

Here's a pic of my car if it helps
maincopy640x4800in.jpg

Attachments

• maincopy640x4800in.jpg
    maincopy640x4800in.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Sponsors (?)

long as you like the result, there is no problem. i have seen engines painted body color, and i have seen engines where the body graphics have been carried over to the engine, highly detailed and matched line for line in both size and location(talk about detail!!!). i have also seen show cars with engines painted the correct color even though the body was custom painted. it all looks good when done right.

I think the 292 Y-block in by bros 55 bird was red. Even if not, I think it'll look pretty bad ass. You are going to share pics with when it's all done, right?

Hmm, I never hear anyone cry about the cowl hoods on mustangs. Weren't those hoods originally a GM design so they could get the big blocks in the Camaro?

XXBULLETSXX said:
... I think I'll have to paint it one more time to ensure it's not chevy orange.

Hehe.. that's why I can NEVER paint mine body color. Orange car.
I'm seriously thinking of going to black this time around myself.

Beautiful car by the way... should look nice with the red engine.

-Stephen

krylon has (or maybe had?) an engine paint that was called ford six cylinder red. when i built the first engine for my car i painted the engine red because i was planning on painting the car charcoal gray with a red pinstripe. ended painting the car red too, but neither lasted long as i soon found out that red is a bad luck color for me. i'm not at all superstitous except when it comes to colors for some reason

Well the engine is long blocked. I'll try to get some pictures of the complete long block soon. But for now here's some pics of some of the parts:

Heres one of the Windsor Jr Heads. This is after the porting and being on the flow bench.
img67306xo.jpg

Heres another shot:
img67296oy.jpg

Here's the Hypertechnic (or something like that) Pistons. I guess they are a cross between forged and cast. Supposed to be the best of both worlds.
img67283kn.jpg

Here's a shot of the Eagle forged rods:
img67237gu.jpg

One of the block waiting on parts:
img67221vl.jpg

And here's one of the Crank getting machined during the balancing process.
img67205vb.jpg

I don't have a pic of the cam but it looks like a cam. :rlaugh:
It is a Comp Cam Extreme Volocity 278.

Attachments

• img67306xo.jpg
    img67306xo.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 121
  • img67296oy.jpg
    img67296oy.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 108
Thought I'd give an update with some pics of how the whole thing looks now. I'm hoping to have it in and running tomorrow afternoon. Wish me luck!

Let me know what you think?:shrug:

img6779r5ck.jpg

img6778r9od.jpg

Attachments

• img6778r9od.jpg
    img6778r9od.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 100
  • img6779r5ck.jpg
    img6779r5ck.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 87
NoKitten said:
the black on the oil pan is going to make oil leaks harder to find down there. otherwise, looks good.

~Garrett
It just looks black in the picture, it's a chrome pan.

Thanks all for the kudos! I've got some pics of it in the car now. I'll try to post those up in a couple of minutes.

Pics of it in! Really happy to finally have it in. Now I just have to get the T5 in and I'll be stoked!

Here's some pics:

img6782r3nu.jpg

img6783r7qa.jpg

img6784r1sm.jpg

Attachments

• img6782r3nu.jpg
    img6782r3nu.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 92
  • img6783r7qa.jpg
    img6783r7qa.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 101
  • img6784r1sm.jpg
    img6784r1sm.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 93
Since it's actually a bright red and the distributor is on the front, I don't think anyone will mistake it for anything but a Ford.

However, what the hell kind of mill is that? If it's not a Bridgeport or a Lagun, thay're not doing it right.....:D.

XXBULLETSXX said:
And here's one of the Crank getting machined during the balancing process.
img67205vb.jpg

Attachments

• img67205vb.jpg
    img67205vb.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 108
Hmm, the one in the first pic looks to be only a manual control whereas the second pic is a semi-CNC.......weird.

Oh well, Laguns are imports too. They're from Spain and have nice pointy handles like that beige machine that are great for sticking in your legs. I think I like them better than Bridgeports anyway after the experience they had at work.

My philosophy is if your name is on the title--do whatever you want. I went through a phase in the late 80's early 1990's where every part that came off my 69 Mustang got repainted Grabber Blue before I put it back on. Now that isn't real drastic when you are talking about the engine, trans etc as it is close to Ford Blue (compared to red). But, I have no problem with it being red either. Your car and engine look great!