Relays not clicking when scanning for codes

91AOD5.0LX

I have a slight sag in my rear
Feb 20, 2021
Lake George NY
1991 LX 5.0:
My Relays always clicked when my OBD1 was connected as I assume it’s always suppose to.
Yesterday I pulled the battery out of the car. Today I installed a new Pos and Neg battery cable from CJ. The neg has the computer connection as well.
The car starts and there is no check engine light and normal engine operations but out of curiosity I decided to scan for codes. The scanner shows the triangle meaning the scanner is communicating with the computer and I only get code 11 meaning all is good (even though the square box always flashes a few times?!?!).
However when I press the test start button I only get 1 little click sound in the beginning of the test and nothing else where prior to this cable swap I always heard all the solenoids clicking as the tests proceeded. Several clicks but now only 1.
Does anyone know if these clicking sounds always have to occur or does this mean there is something wrong?
I jumped the grey connector to the battery ground and still no clicking sounds. I tried it over and over but no clicks. Curious if it has something to do with the battery being removed for a day and new cables installed and car hasn’t been driven?. The grounds are all connected as well and the car starts (haven’t driven it yet for other reasons).
Any thoughts is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The cables should not have changed the test, but if it gives you 11’s snd runs, you are winning.
I’m thinking maybe not though because if it’s not running thru the test then there may be something I am not away of. Curious if the solenoids and relays not clicking means no test even though the scanner is showing 11 and the spacer code 10.

Are the solenoids there and functional?

I believe you need to start the engine and run the engine running codes to determine their functionality.
Yes they are all there and always clicked when I did the test until now.
There are 2 separate tests. One with engine running and one without.
I start the car and get it to operating temperature then shut it off. Then plug the scanner in, then turn the key to on but without starting then turn the scanner on and press the test button.
I think I have my suspicions on why it’s not doing it now and will play with it when the rain stops today. If I’m right it’s a dumb mistake on my end and will report back as to my findings.
I was curious though if anyone knows if the relays are suppose to click all the time because if not then maybe nothings wrong. I’m just comparing to all past tests when they always clicked.

Yes, they should all click at the same time. However, if they fail to click they should register as a code later on in the process. Did you get anything?

if you want, you can use a 9v battery with leads and alligator clips to trigger the solenoids manually to see if they are working

Yes, they should all click at the same time. However, if they fail to click they should register as a code later on in the process. Did you get anything?

if you want, you can use a 9v battery with leads and alligator clips to trigger the solenoids manually to see if they are working
No code comes up even with them not clicking.
I would try the 9v battery manual trigger that you mentioned but I’m not familiar with how to do that. Is it something you can explain easily or should I just do some googling when I get a few minutes and see if there is anything explaining it?