remember the guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone thought about using muffler clamps? The U shaped ones you can get at any parts store. They should close down far enough to do the same job and with 2 of them on each spring they should be plenty strong enough.

I seem to remember a story in Talk a couple years ago about a kid who actually killed himself changing springs...the spring flew out and hit him in the face and killed him. Not only is that tragic but think about how stupid it is to risk your life over something that's so easy to do right. Autozone will rent you out a spring compressor for free.

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone thought about using muffler clamps? The U shaped ones you can get at any parts store. They should close down far enough to do the same job and with 2 of them on each spring they should be plenty strong enough.

I seem to remember a story in Talk a couple years ago about a kid who actually killed himself changing springs...the spring flew out and hit him in the face and killed him. Not only is that tragic but think about how stupid it is to risk your life over something that's so easy to do right. Autozone will rent you out a spring compressor for free.

hose clamps i wouldnt try.... i have used muffler clamps though.... strong, and work decent...

interesting. i never had to compress my springs in any of the 4 corners even with new isos's. in my 5.0 or my 03 cobra. actually i had to use a crow bar for the cobra and pryed the fronts in

If you had a son, would you teach him to do it the same way you did.

**** yeah. ide tell him to get his pansy ass down and get it done.

so far 75% of you are coming off as being total retards. I RENTED THE SPRING COMPRESSORS, THEY DONT WORK, THEY DONT FIT DOWN THROUGH THE HOLE IN THE A-ARMS. the only method i have heard from all you that made any sense has been jrichker mentioning the straps. that ide do. i make enough money and am patient enough, (look at my engine bay thread for proof of that,) to do something the right way regardless of cost. but when it doesnt work i have to use my personal ingenuity to get the job done. and the hose clamps worked friggin great and at no point did i feel at all in jeopardy. and i did this with drag springs, which are stiffer than all the eibach stuff most people put in their cars. so, im still here, and the front spring swap took me 20 minutes... in the end the choice is up to whoever is doing it.

Did it ever occur to you that there are other types of spring compressors? You know, like the clamshell type that come in from the sides? On top of that, you can own one for $35.

so far 75% of you are coming off as being total retards.

If it seems like everyone is against you, maybe the problem lies with you and not everyone else.

1. You got impatient, and didn't take the time to find the right tool and learn how to use it.

2. You don't seem to have any understanding of the magnitude of energy held in a compressed spring. The Lb/in of compression has been mentioned... but that doesn't really express the energy just waiting to be released.

3. You did something dangerous. It was dangerous, and you got lucky. If you want to prove to me that hose clamps are safe, then get the hose clamp manufacturer to endorse this use of their product. Go ahead, give them a call. Be ready for them to laugh their @$$ off at your dumb @$$ though.

4. You are now here telling everyone that it is safe! Think about this.... In the next year 3-4 people may give this stupid idea a try because of this thread. How much liability will you be willing to assume if a hose clamp fails and kills someone? Will you pay their life insurance? Will you support their families? Will you pay their medical expenses if they are lucky enough to live?
Will you?

Bottom line is this.
You put your butt in danger to 'git r done'
Now you are recommending to others they do the same thing. If someone gets hurt because of your recommendation, you won't assume any liability... you'll just say 'it was his choice, it ain't my fault'

The following is for anyone reading this who may be considering stupid ****...
The internet is a great place for exchanging ideas. Unfortunately, there is no ACCOUNTABILITY on the internet.

I hope anyone who reads this thread will walk away understanding that a little better.

Maybe a couple of other examples will help drive the point home...

In my line of work, I have seen 1 man die because he did not take the time to do the job right. I won't discuss the details on this though.

I can think of 2 guys at this moment who had very close calls.

One guy had the wrong ladder/stand for what he was doing. Took a fall, and didn't land well. I saw him hit the ground... he was lucky to get up at all.
He had used the 'wrong' stand before, so he assumed it to be safe.
NEVER again did he use the wrong stand!

Another guy didn't take the time to repair a power cord and wasn't wearing the proper gloves when working with the 480v cord.
He's lucky as hell to be alive. However, over a year later he still has nervous system issues (balance, coordination, uncontrollable shakes, etc.)
He will pay for that one little mistake for the rest of his life.
This man now carries proper gloves with him at all times in the shop, and any equipment that is defective gets repaired or scrapped, period.

The point guys is this.
It may seem "safe" if you don't get hurt this time, or next time, or even the next time you perform a task.
But it only takes once for you to be seriously injured or killed.

I hope this puts things in better perspective :flag:

if you live in one of the larger cities, there are repair shops that can compress the springs and then band them with several
steel shipping bands. It is safe, and is the method the shops use to install springs with minimum risk. The spring is
compressed to its recommended riding height and then banded. Install the spring, align the spring isolators, then bolt up the
rest of the parts that secure the A arm and spring.

Cut the bands with sheet metal shears or other tool once the springs are in place and all the bolts are in place and properly
tightened. I would still recommend a logging chain to hold the springs in place just in case something got loose.

That is correct! But, notice that they use many steel strapping bands. And, gee, let's look at the specs for those strapping bands. :)
From: http://www.strappingtoolsandparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=8

Code:
Item No.     Width In.     Thickness     Break Strength     Yield     Coil Winding     Coil Weight     Strap Finish
11582     1/2 in.     .020 in.     1525 lbs.     29.4 ft/lb     Mill     105 lbs.     Painted & Waxed
11614     5/8 in.     .020 in.     1900 lbs.     23.6 ft/lb     Mill     105 lbs.     Painted & Waxed
11624     5/8 in.     .023 in.     2175 lbs.     20.5 ft/lb     Mill     105 lbs.     Painted & Waxed
49936     3/4 in.     .020 in.     2250 lbs.     19.6 ft/lb     Mill     105 lbs.     Painted & Waxed
11645     3/4 in.     .023 in.     2600 lbs.     17.1 ft/lb     Mill     105 lbs.     Painted & Waxed

There are right ways to do things, safe ways to do things, and then there are the very foolish ways to do things.

You, and most others, forget, that you are not the only person in the world reading this thread. Gee, how did you get the idea in the first place? It's not possible to make sure that every tread has accurate and safe advice.

Good point

I remember reading a thread over in corral where a guy wanted to put some bullitt wheels on his Mark 7 rotors so he said that you can just grind the snout of the rotors down until the wheel fit.

I chimed in saying such advice was bad because if a few years from now some 16-year old kid wants to put FR500's on his 5.0 and reads that thread he's gonna whip out dad's grinder and go to town taking off way too much material and making the rotor hub cherry red and weakening it. Then the poor kid loses a wheel one day and potentially kills himself.

I HATE hack-job mods or "redneck engineering". I always say if you are going to do something, do it right.

If you're going to do something do it right and do it the safe way, one time I guess my neighbor hired a some bootleg mechanic, anyway he was laying in the fetal position under a minivan in the street with a wheel off working on something, and the van was suspened by the emergency jack. I was under the hood of the stang, and needless to say I had my hand on my cell waiting to call 911. Now just because that guy got away unscathed dosent mean I should unbolt my driveshaft with the E-jack in the fetal position with three wheels parked in the street.

Good point

I remember reading a thread over in corral where a guy wanted to put some bullitt wheels on his Mark 7 rotors so he said that you can just grind the snout of the rotors down until the wheel fit.

I chimed in saying such advice was bad because if a few years from now some 16-year old kid wants to put FR500's on his 5.0 and reads that thread he's gonna whip out dad's grinder and go to town taking off way too much material and making the rotor hub cherry red and weakening it. Then the poor kid loses a wheel one day and potentially kills himself.

I HATE hack-job mods or "redneck engineering". I always say if you are going to do something, do it right.

I seen the kit Cobra guys machine the Mark VII rotor to a 45 degree angle so they could use the 99+ wheels. It crossed my mind to just have the hub machined down, but it still seems a little iffy, I dont want to be the one to find out that it weakens the rotor.

I came EXTREMELY close to losing my hand one time time because I wasn't using the proper tools. Take it from someone who has had a close call, using the right tool is worth it. I'm lucky to have my right hand today, and I will always use the right tools to get something done no matter how hard it is to track down.

BTW, the spring compressor you needed is a two piece arrangement, it clamps down on the outside of the spring, one on each side. It is considered a "strut spring compressor". You can rent/buy one at Autozone for 35$ under loan-a-tool part number 27036. How hard was that?:rolleyes:

View attachment 311987

This tools works great on foxes. You can't say this won't work, because between me and Notchback306 we have two foxes, and 2 SN95's that it has been put to work on multiple times, and it works great.

i already have a pair of these, i will try them on the passenger side to keep you all happy and keep myself "safe", i just dont see how you can tighten them both down at the same time, im doing this install by myself. any advice?
Sam,
Those are the compressors I use.
They are still a pain to get adjusted right, and get the spring to compress evenly.
Tighten one side a little, then tighten a little on the other, etc.

It isn't fast:(

I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear you won't be using the clamps again.
I may not know you, and will probably never meet you... but I'd still hate to see you injured working on your hobby.

jason

This has sorta gotten away from tech, so moved to talk...if it even continues to remain open at all
Mike,
I don't assume to know how to run this site... obviously you are better at those decisions than I am.

But, I disagree.
Due to the way this site is structured, and how 'most' members use it...
I would prefer to see this stay in tech, as that is where the visibility of the topic is needed.

I don't feel Safety should be treated as a different subject than Tech.
We should be looking at how safe it is to do every job we perform on our cars.

NOTE:
I am not presuming to know how the mod/admin team here wants (or even should) run this site.
I just wanted to express my opinion on this issue... :nice:

I sincerely hope this duscussion isn't locked or deleted.

i knew it would turn into a big fight, im sorry about that
I don't think there is ANY need for apologies.
The thread you have started here has allowed a very frank discussion to begin.
Right now, you are looking at things from a different perspective...
Most likely many others reading along are looking at things from a different perspective...

These are VERY GOOD THINGS.

It is unfortunate that we always look at 'arguments' as being negative & non-productive.

When people disagree on the internet, it allows for great exchanges of tech and opinions.
Disagreements aren't always bad. In fact, if both parties can maintain some level of professionalism, then both parties have the opportunity to come away from the exchange a little bit smarter :flag:

Truthfully,
You should be thanked for starting this thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.