Remote mounted twin turbo

67topless

Mar 31, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Saw an episode of Horsepower TV this morning where they put a twin turbo in a 2005 vette... the turbo's are located in the rear of the car. Was pretty interesting and the company offers bolt on kits for 2005 Mustangs as well. In addition, they have a universal kit which requires your own mods to make it work. I thought it was pretty damn interesting just given the fact that the turbo's are located remotely outside of the engine compatment.

The show is re-airing tomorrow if you are interested (Sunday @ 11:00am EST/ESTon Spike TV).

Here is the link to their website:

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system

What do you guys think of this setup? It is very pricey for sure...

• Sponsors (?)

I remember when these guys first started selling these kits. I didn't like them then and I still don't like them now. My first problem is that you are losing an immense amount of heat between the head and the turbine, and heat is energy that could otherwise be spinning that turbine wheel. My second concern is placing a $600 turbo or two ($1200 for those that aren't quick on math :p ) under the car, exposed to the elements. Just crawl under there and look at your mufflers next chance you get, do you want that happening to such a large investment? Third, what about all that IC pipe (oh wait, there's no intercooler :notnice: , so just pipe) could you imagine how much more suceptible to cracks that would be, and even worse, trying to hunt down a crack? There's more, but I'll climb down off the soapbox for now. I have to hand it to these guys for trying something new, it's brave and respectable, but I'd never trust that product on my vehicle when I could fab. up my own system for far less and make it (at least in my belief) more effecient.

keith2172 said:
I remember when these guys first started selling these kits. I didn't like them then and I still don't like them now. My first problem is that you are losing an immense amount of heat between the head and the turbine, and heat is energy that could otherwise be spinning that turbine wheel. My second concern is placing a $600 turbo or two ($1200 for those that aren't quick on math :p ) under the car, exposed to the elements. Just crawl under there and look at your mufflers next chance you get, do you want that happening to such a large investment? Third, what about all that IC pipe (oh wait, there's no intercooler :notnice: , so just pipe) could you imagine how much more suceptible to cracks that would be, and even worse, trying to hunt down a crack? There's more, but I'll climb down off the soapbox for now. I have to hand it to these guys for trying something new, it's brave and respectable, but I'd never trust that product on my vehicle when I could fab. up my own system for far less and make it (at least in my belief) more effecient.

But that same distance of pipe goes also acts as an intercooler on the cold side. And most of that run is straight. The vette kit did have an intercooler, and on top of that they were able to use a more efficient IC because of the air being cooler going into it. I don't know how good the kit is or what the power curved looked like. But the peak HP/TQ nubmers were way up from the base run.

I'm sure they 'work', anytime you pressurize the intake tract (and add fuel too!) you're going to get more power, I just don't like it. Call me old fashioned, but I think a turbo's home is under the hood.
There's another member here working on a single turbo setup for early Mustangs, he's got a good start, I'd shoot for something around those lines.

P.S. Just occured to me, anyone turbocharge a straight six yet, there's an interesting thought.

I had never seen it done this way before... that is why it struck my interest. And now I just saw it again on an episode of "Rides". Another positive (because there are so many negatives listed) is that it is easier to find the room... especially given the lack of room under the hood of some of the newer/smaller cars.

Anyway, I think they should get props for the idea. Agreed that it may not be the best solution though.

keith2172 said:
turbos DO NOT use heat to spin, they use the exhaust gas flow to spin the impeller. for this reason, it does not matter how far away from the exhaust manifold the turbo is mounted. they only need the flow. that is why this turbo system is possible. in this configuration, there is FAR less heat under the hood, as well as more room under there too.

bigcat said:
turbos DO NOT use heat to spin, they use the exhaust gas flow to spin the impeller. for this reason, it does not matter how far away from the exhaust manifold the turbo is mounted. they only need the flow. that is why this turbo system is possible. in this configuration, there is FAR less heat under the hood, as well as more room under there too.

It's always been my understanding that maintaining heat prior to entering the turbine housing is a good thing. There's some BS associated with hot gasses taking up a greater volume then equal amounts of cold gas, thus creating a higher pressure differential between the inlet and outlet's of the turbine housing, and something about ceramic coating and wrapping headers to maintain that pressure differential. I don't know, maybe I'm talking out of my butt. :shrug:

I have worked on and driven cars with this setup.

The car which I worked on performed well, but for the price of the kit, I would most certainly buy a more traditional kit or a nother form of forced induction.

The charge pipes were a pain. We blew them off on a few occasions while running at high boost. They hung very low to the ground, as did the turbo. I am concerned about longevity of the turbo with it hanging so low to the ground as well. Clearly the velocity of the exhaust gasses coming directly out of the cylinder heads is higher than the velocity of these same gasses after having passed through a large volume of piping, thus making them less efficient. The exhaust had to have absolutely no leaks before the very back of the car, or power would suffer tremendously. Keeping all of the piping, both exhaust and intake, completely sealed proved to be a test of our patience and eventually a test of our welding skills.

I would never install one in my car, nor would I recommend them to anyone else. They are too costly, and too much hassle. Another customer who had the same kit, recently sold his to finance a single turbo kit to bring the turbo up front.