Remote Starter Solenoid Wiring Question

Scudly

Dec 9, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I have a remote starter solenoid and battery where the back seat would be in my car. When my dad wired it he setup a ground for the Solenoid. He also didn't run the 12 gauge wire or the other part of the mini-starter. I burnt up the starter last weekend because it stayed engaged and now I need to correct the wiring. Please advise me on what to do here.

wire_5.jpg

Here is basically how its wired:

wire_4.jpg

And here is how it is suppose to be wired... but I'm so confused what to do with that ground and if its necessary

wiring.GIF

I posted this in 5.0 tech but haven't gotten much luck

• Sponsors (?)

None of the wires coming from the solenoid should be grounded, the only ground is where you bolt the solenoid down. The ground is from the - of the battery to the block. When facing the mounted solenoid as it normally is on the fenderwall the batt. + attaches the left post, the right post cable goes to the starter, the small wire on the front comes from the ign. to send the signal to make the internal connection in the solenoid to send power from the batt. thru the sol. to the starter cable.

The other grounds are the mounting point of the starter to the motor and an engine to body ground at min.

In the top drawing I have no idea what the "This wire appears to go to a ground...but may go to the starter" is for, if it grounds your battery will explode, this wire would be constant hot as it connects to the same post as the batt. + cable - why would you ground it?
Get a $5 test light or voltage meter to check what's hot before you blow something up or the car catches fire, wiring is not something to guess at....
Jon

Ok, so he just ran a ground wire from the mounting boss to a clean metal ground? That's fine, but your top diagram shows that you were thinking of grounding the cable coming from the stud that the batt. + cable goes to.

You have a mess of wires in your pic so I can't make heads or tails of it but it appears that there is a red wire (coming from batt. + I'm guessing?) that starts at the bottom right corner of the pic - goes to the left stud post on the solenoid, then a black cable comes from the same post and goes to the top left of the pic and is grounded to a stud installed in the floor? THIS WOULD GROUND THE BATTERY + = BAD.

Maybe if you zip tied all the other loose wires out of the way and took a pic of just the solenoid connected cables.
Jon

Ok, so he just ran a ground wire from the mounting boss to a clean metal ground? That's fine, but your top diagram shows that you were thinking of grounding the cable coming from the stud that the batt. + cable goes to.

You have a mess of wires in your pic so I can't make heads or tails of it but it appears that there is a red wire (coming from batt. + I'm guessing?) that starts at the bottom right corner of the pic - goes to the left stud post on the solenoid, then a black cable comes from the same post and goes to the top left of the pic and is grounded to a stud installed in the floor? THIS WOULD GROUND THE BATTERY + = BAD.

Maybe if you zip tied all the other loose wires out of the way and took a pic of just the solenoid connected cables.
Jon

What you're seeing is a lot of the wiring for the amplifiers. I need to clean it up badly

And yes he did run a ground from the stud :cautious:

ok, i need to know what is supposed to be connected to a remote starter solenoid. i have a 92 mustang, and i know that the battery, stater, and an ignition wire is supposed to be on the solenoid. BUT the guy i bought the car from has 3 other wires connected to it. i know one goes to the fuel pump (idk why) but idk what the other two wires go to. it's a mess and i keep burning though solenoids. and any wiring diagram i can find is for a solenoid on the starter, and mine is on the fender.
the problem i've been having is when i start the car, the starter doesnt turn off until i disconnect the battery cable. i've gone through 3 solenoids, and i'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

Here's one way to mount a trunk solenoid and wire, Catalog

there are multiple ways yours is a litte different as it has an electric FP. If you can't trace the other wires to the front via color you may have to disconnect them and see what doesn't work?

I would suggest starting a new thread with pics of what you're working with at the solenoid, battery and starter.
Jon