Removable Roll Cage?

67stangboy

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
Granite City
I've been looking into a roll cage for my stang. While talking to some people who do road rallys once or twice a year and then daily drive their cars the rest of the time they mentioned the option of a removable 4 point roll cage. They sent me some links to a company who makes them for BMW's but has any one done anything like this for a classic mustang or seen any one use something like this?

http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=TC-BE39-RB

Here's the link to the one for the BMW, it looks like with a little work and borrowing some equipment this is a doable home project.

• Sponsors (?)

don't know of anyone making a kit like this but you could always get a standard roll cage and cut it up so you can add the pieces that make it removable, you should be able to the parts from just about any roll cage manufacturer or maybe some of the 4x4/off-road fab shops. would be a cool project and easily reversible as well. you'll abvioulsy have to drill some holes in the car and i'd suggest getting an extra rear seat and side panels you can cut up to make everything fit.

if you take this on let us know how it comes out or better yet post a write up on the whole process.:nice:

I actually jumped right in and made up some plans, took measurements and started calling some shops looking for parts. I can get all the metal tube for $160 and I'm waiting on a call back on the pieces that make it removable, but i have a few places looking.

It looks like I'll need to make 2 holes in the back seat but I'll have the guy who does all my leather work just make it a nice hole that looks like part of the seat. the only other holes will be drilled in the trunk (just in front of the gas tank) and in the floor board of the back seat. I just need to crawl under the car and see where the frame lines up.

I'll keep everyone up to date on the project and when I finish who knows maybe I'll be able to make kits, or just post the plans on here so everyone who wants to try it can.

on a side note, what do you all think would work better bolting the thing to the frame like they do on the BMW or welding in the 4 places that never get removed anyway, seems like that is just 16 less bolts that I have to worry about breaking if I weld it. I mean it would still be removable just not the 4 posts that the frame attaches to.

i would weld some reinforcement plates in both top and bottom but make the entire removable rather tha just having posts sticking up from the floor board. i'd still have an extra rear seat worked on so that when the bar is out of the car it won't have a big hole going into the trunk.

Please do keep us updated on this project. A removeable rollbar is what I have in mind for my '67. Once it's back together I'd like to take it to an open track event but the primary purpose is a DD and I have two kids.

Note: This should be in Tech. I almost missed this one.

if your looking for a removable rollcage try: www.autopowerindustries.com located in san diego. i have one in my car and they fit nice with minimal modification to your car. great for when you want to put in all the supports and go racing, or break it down to retain the rear seats! it is a production cage but they can build it to suit your needs.

This is a cool idea. Post pics when you get some progress going.

FYI, I believe Jegs or Summit has a 4 pt roll cage for about $160. You can get that already pre-made for our cars and just modify it to make it removable. Would save you plenty of time on bending the tubes and welding them together.

Here's the link
https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_55728_-1

Not 100% if it is track approved though.