Removed my intake...no wonder the car was having issues! (DUW)

Linz

"I Love Seamen"
Founding Member
Jul 24, 2001
Northern Virginia
Well, lets see, I've had my fox for at least 3 years, and for about 2 of those years, my car has just sat in my driveway. I did stuff to it here and there, swapping the trans to a 3550 and changing the radiator and plugs etc. and rewiring the whole car, but all in all, nothing to major, just a fun project to work on when I felt the need.
Anyways, I noticed that on rare occasions when i DO drive my car, its only pulling 7 inches of vac at idle. Not too awesome. I had my b/f bring home a smoke machine from his work, so we could see if there were any leaks in my intake (which by the cars previous owner was supposedly ported). Well, huge leaks in the intake, so I grabbed a stock one off the performance shop I usually use and went to work taking off the intake. Here are the pics of the stock one sitting next to the POS one that was on the car... no wonder I was having issues! The heads were slightly touched as well.
The people apparantly took a dremel tool and just went to town. In fact, there's even a hole that they apoxied!!!
IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3056.jpg
    IMG_3056.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 68
  • Sponsors (?)

Wow, nice port work. Now it is time to replace it. Porting the factory lower is a good idea but it looks like somebody got carried away. Search Tmoss for how it should be done. Factory intakes can flow decently and are a good alternative to buying an aftermarket intake. Especially if the rest of the combination is not too radical. I'd really look close at the heads if they're ported also. Probably done by the same person. Good luck.