Removed quad shocks, have wheel hop, what to do

magnj

May 30, 2007
I had to remove my quads because I bought wheels with too much backspacing for ranger axles and they rubbed even when flipped. I thought I didn't have bad wheel hop at first but I caught some serious air a few days ago on a bumpy back road which was scary and then yesterday from a stop I got reaaal bad hop. So, do I buy wheel spacers and new quads or do I go for control arms and hope that works? I want to do some autocross, I'm wondering if widening my track width more will hurt me?

• Sponsors (?)

Well what rear brake setup do you have? Do you have the SN95 width rear track or did you go fox width?

If you autocross, they wont let you race with spacers if they catch it on tech. Same goes for drag racing.

You can try control arms, but the truth is that quad shocks are there for a reason...wheel hop.

I have stock width ranger axles with 03 cobra's. I don't like the idea of spacers either, but idk what to do. I don't drag race and rarely slam it off a light but the hop is pretty bad. Is there a quad skinnier than the stock ones?

What size tire on what kind of rim?

I have 275s in the rear, Ranger (stock Fox length) axles, and I still have my quad shocks. Actually, I had to space my quads out closer to the wheel to keep them from rubbing on my shocks.

Wait, you said you flipped your quads. Are you sure you they weren't already flipped at one point, meaning you actually put them back on the "correct" way?

Also, did you cut the cover off the quads? That might give you that extra room you need.

I tried the quads both ways, they rubbed both ways. The 03 cobras are 17x9 w/ 255's the listed specs are +26 mm. Offset and 6.12 in. Backspacing. I did not cut the cover off the quad, I was unaware that part could be removed...do you have pics and can this be done with new ones because mine were pretty shot.

How exactly do those traction bars work and are they more for drag racing applications or will that be ok for light autocross and DD duty? I mean I drive the car and 99% of the time I don't get on it but when I do I'd like to get going instead of bouncing like a maniac

Autozone sells decent replacement quads. Not sure if they are physically thinner. You need to order them but they are $25 each. Maybe buy 1 and test fit it? Look on autozone's site. They are listed as "steering dampener"

03 Cobra wheels have +2mm more offset than any other 17X9 wheel, and the most backspacing. That is a good looking wheel, but the worst wheel for clearance issues.

I suggest HPM Mega Bite Jr's They are more expensive than others, but they have 2 mount hole locations. If you mount the bolt in the upper hole, it offers 85% traction increase over stock. The bottom hole offers 135% traction over stock. Changing the position of the bolt, also raises and lowers the car about 3/4"...depending on your springs, tires etc. I have them on my 81 notch with 285-40-17 Goodyear Eagle F1's and no quads. I have minimal wheel hop on some roads. I have no wheel hop on other roads. I have uppers too...but just go with lowers for now. Uppers are a PITA to install and don't do much on a street car.