Removing 302 From Explorer

RyanEllis

May 31, 2014
Hi, im getting a cheap 302 from 2000 explorer from a u-pick. Only issue i gotta remove it myself in the yard. Just wondering what tools im going to need and best way to go about doing it. They will assist me in lifting it out, so thats not a problem.

• Sponsors (?)

Rachet(s), Socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, a BFH for good measure, and a reciprocating saw. I'd also bring some dykes or other type of cutter that will cut metal. If you have the plastic disconnect tools for the fuel line, bring them. You want to be prepared to remove stuff that cant be done by regular careful means. i.e. rounded out bolt heads, fuel lines stuck, stuff in the way.

Wire cutters for sure. Sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, hammer, you don't need the disconnect tool. I cut the fire fuel lines as you can't reuse that rail anyway. Hack saw or reciprocating
Saw for the exhaust.

Start by remove the intake plaque and removing the bolts underneath. Remove the rest of the upper intake. Next remove all the harness connections. I usually choose to cut.
Remove radiator and air conditioner lines next. Once again I usually cut these as well.
You can try and unbolt the exhaust at the collectors but my experience days this usually won't work. This is where the saw comes in.
Next you need to remove the flex plate nuts to free the flywheel from the converter. Do that via the inspection plate at the bottom of the bell housing.
With that ask you have left is to unbolt the motor mounts from the truck and then the engine bell housing bolts.
After that it should slide out. If they are going to charge you extra for all the accessories abd brackets take them off. You aren't going to need abd any of them.

I know I'm talking way ahead of your current stage in the process, but I'm not sure which Mustang you have. Just be aware that the EGR setup on the 2000 Explorer is the same as a 94'-95' Mustang. The 93' and older Mustang have a different EGR routing.

Kurt

Excellent. A 2000 Explorer engine is an excellent choice especially if you are on a budget. They make great power with only the addition of a camshaft. It is important to note that you have an 87' Mustang since that EEC is speed density. Lots of guys here use that engine or at least parts off of it. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you go to install it.

Kurt

That's what I am running in my car. Well worth the investment. My advice would be to remove the heads and have them gone over and new springs installed. While you have it on the stand you need to put the Fox oil pan on. Rotate the crank and check the cylinder walls. Also abused engines are prone to sludge behind the cylinders and this is a prime time to clear that goop out. Also highly recommended at this time is replacing the oil pump, rear main seal, and water pump. If you are feeling super ballsy send the lower to tmoss to be ported. Your ailing mustang will feel like it just got a shot of steroids up its ass.

Well, i went to the junkyard and they had a 94 351 sitting on the floor, they gave it to me for the same price as the 5.0 but i didnt have to remove it so i went with it. I have been all over the place the last bit, but got it settled now.

Thanks a lot for all your replies, even though i didnt end up having to remove the engine, i really appreciate all your help just that same!!