Removing air silencer??

• Sponsors (?)

If you look at your airbox, in the front on the bottom there is a little snorkel/scoop type piece hanging down (the air silencer). It's plastic and snaps on/off. If you snap it off the inlet hole (in the airbox) is bigger than the hole on the air silencer. I didn't notice much of a difference when I removed mine. If I had pictures I would share them, but if no one takes them by tonight I'll take some for you.

Like I've told people a hundred times, the snorkel lookin thing is not the air silencer! The big thing that looks like a muffler in the air inlet is the silencer, if you pull it off it necks down to like 1" on the inside. I don't know about the '91-93 cars, but in the '87-90s you can cut the necked-down part out with a knife, and it makes the car sound a lot cooler anyway.

Oh...I never knew thats what the air silencer was. I already have a 3" Pipe replacing it. But I was messing around in the car and I found a tube running from the back of the airbox to the header. Its about..hmm..a 1 1/2 to inch flexible tube. It was loose so I just took it off. I didn't need that for anything important did I?

The flexible tube that runs from the exhaust over to the airbox is a stovepipe. It heats the incoming air when the engine is cold. There's a door in the airbox that selects the pre-heated air or the outside air depending on the feedback from the ACT.

+1 for RedLX's description of the air silencer. The 91-93 cars do have them and if you're patient, you can actually pry them out of both ends of the silencer body without cutting.

I replaced my silencer with a 3 inch aluminum tube that i had custom bent thru race parts solutions, had it bent to a 60 degree bend. and then bought there silicon conectors and polished it up. looks as nice as any cai on the market and it still uses the original air box.

jims92mustanglx said:
I replaced my silencer with a 3 inch aluminum tube that i had custom bent thru race parts solutions, had it bent to a 60 degree bend. and then bought there silicon conectors and polished it up. looks as nice as any cai on the market and it still uses the original air box.
Post some pictures, and how much did that cost you.
I've been thinking of having my brother bend me some pipe for an intake when he gets back to Vo-Tech at the end of the month.