Removing fenders and front valence

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hey guys as some of you know I have a pretty big project on my hands right now for a high schooler. I don't know if I mentioned that I am painting the engine bay myself on top of the motor build so I need to know some stuff. How do you remove the front fenders and the front valence? I need to get these off so i can paint certain areas. Any pictures and info will be greatly appreciated as I am kind of in the dark on this one. Let's hear it 69-70 owners!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Fenders, Unbolt the bolts from under the hood, below on the bottom of the fenders and then open the door and undo the last bolt, the valance is pretty much the same just unbolt! Make sure to unplug the signal lights before you tug away on the valance! Not a hard job, make sure you WD40 the bolts first!
:flag:

The valence on a 69 drops off leaving the turn indicators on the car (they mount to the bumper). You will need to disconnect the side marker lights--just grab the wires/soft rubber close to the light housing and twist a 1/4 turn and they come out. There are a couple of bolts mounting to the fenders on each side vertically, a bracket on each side at the bottom mounting to a tab on the frame rail, a bolt in the center bottom of the valence mounting to the grill support/rad support, and two bolts each side mounting to the headlight bucket mounting tabs if they aren't broken off.

Fenders are as the previous guy mentioned, but add a bracket on each side with two bolts mounted to the radiator support and the headlight wiring harness to disconnect. You will also have to pull the grill and the center stuff below the grill. Not sure if it can be done leaving the bumper intact on the car, but I think so. Been a long time since I took mine apart, so this is all from memory. Good luck.
Dave