repainting interior..have questions

BlownPony347

Jan 13, 2004
I plan on repainting my interior and wanted to know if it is necessary to strip the original paint all off before repainting or does it just need to be cleaned very well? It will be repainted the same factory color. Also how many coats of paint will i need? Where is the place place to store the trim pieces while they dry? Sorry if these are stupid questions but i know nothing about painting. thanks for any help..

• Sponsors (?)

wash the items in water with dish soap very well, then hit them with some vinyl prep or plastic safe paint prep and wipe it off. That should be good prep, then you just pray light coats (2-3 coats ) misting the parts each time..don't try to do it all in one coat cause the stuff (if quality) will be dry and ready to go for second coat in about 15minutes. Trust me you will be suprised how easy and quality it is.
dman302
there are some pics. of my finished dye job on mine.

BlownPony347 said:
Thanks for the advice, i was planning on using 50resto paint along with the vinyl prep they sell. How many cans did it take you to do your interior?
I just did my interior last week. I did it all. The only other recomendation I can make is after you wash it just hit it with some very fine steel wool. This helps to give it even more adhesion. With the steel wool and the prep paint it should stick real good. Good Luck!