Repair some rust

ChrisHall4777

Jan 13, 2013
Hope everyone is Covid19 free. With everyone staying inside it’s giving me some good time to work on the Stang.

So I have a few small spots that have had some surface rust pop up. Most are very small and surface only. I have one spot around the rear wheel well that might have a small spot that will be rusted through. I want to do the repair myself using elbow grease, filler when needed and obviously primer to prep for paint. No welding. I’ve read till I’m crossed and see the process is all the same usually. My question is what brand fillers, rust converters, primers does most recommend. I am getting a spray can of paint match made and some clear coat at a local auto body paint shop.

Anyone ever had a paint match made for your specific color? Does it match the original pretty good even if your paint job is 15 years old.

Again not looking to do a whole repaint, just touch up that will fix the rust issue hopefully forever and when it’s time to repaint I’ll have less work.

thx
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Hate to say it, but you're not going to have a forever fix, the issue will still be there as time of repaint and it'll likely be worse. You've got to get rid of the rust, which means it needs to be cut out. Yes there are epoxy bonding agents that would mean no filling, but they require overlap of the metal, most likely this is where your rust is now, at an overlap. If you had a non-metallic color you can get a spray can made up to match and you can sand and buff it to look pretty good, but it's doubtful it'll be unnoticeable.

Pictures would help.

I have had great results with this company to get colors back to original. I was even able to get my interior white through them: