replace steering rack & pinion?

makoto

Founding Member
Dec 8, 2001
USA
I have a question for you guys. My steering seems a bit messed up, specifically when I turn the wheel when the car is off, I get this strange popping sound. I dont notice it when the car is running, but it didnt seem like a good thing when I heard it. Could this be the rack?

• Sponsors (?)

can you be more specific? what kind of pop? any idea where it is comin from?
have you checked for slack in the assembly, etc?

Well, the pop is heard in the car, so maybe from the steering column even. Its a series of pops I heard, when I was turning the wheel after installing springs, etc, and while the car was still on jacks. I dont hear it through normal driving...

I havent really checked because I wasnt sure where to start. Ill check it out more tomorrow to see if I can be more specific...

Ourobos said:
Bushings? Are you leaking any fluid? Is there any play in the rag joint? Tie rods straight?
thank you. i knew i could not think of something earlier when i posted. i thought of the whole column being loose and clanking around as he reefs on the steering wheel, but forgot the rag joint. they are famous for having slop, making noise (esp when the sloppy joint loads and unloads). i bet you hit it on the head.

I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case (rag joint). There is no leakage...

Luckily, I have a Flaming River steering shaft, so Ill throw that in soon and see if it stops the problem. Then we can go from there....