Drivetrain Replaced Clutch, Now Dragging

Jerry Larsen

May 28, 2016
Hey guys, just picked up this 01 mustang gt for $1000 that only needed a clutch! And being a mechanic that works almost exclusively on fords I figured I had a pretty good deal. But once I put everything back together the clutch seems to drag. I started it in first and it began to creep forward. No big deal I though, just adjust the firewall adjuster further out and it will work. How wrong was I... But what I noticed was when in gear and letting the clutch out it doesn't grab until 2" from the top. So something is dragging. Maybe the pilot bearing because I forgot to replace it with the included one. But I replaced the pivot ball, fork, tob, quadrant, cable, added a firewall adjuster, replaced the friction disk and pressure plate with a stage 1 luk clutch. So what do you guys think? Should I pull it back apart and get a new pilot bearing and flywheel? Or should I have shimmed the pivot ball?

• Sponsors (?)

The pilot bearing only supports the front of the input shaft. It won't be the source of your dragging problem.

How much free play is there in the pedal?

Any chance you installed the friction disc backwards?

In the petal? None, have a decent amount of preload on it, friction disk is in correctly, it does support the input shaft but if the bearing was sized it could spin the input shaft too much couldn't it?