Replacing a starter

• Sponsors (?)

Get a starter from one of the newer Mustangs. I put in a starter from a 90 something Mustang. It is much smaller, lighter, and starts the car just as well. It was about 100 dollars, money well spent.

BullittStangV8 said:
what starter do i need to replace the one on my 65? meaning are there different types, and if so what kind/model will i need? Mine went south this weekend :(
Mike

You can replace it with the stock starter or if you want you can replace it with a mini starter from a newer style (90's) Mustang. I replaced it with a newer style and would never, ever, go back to the stock style.

Don't go cheap on the starter whatever you do. and most of all get a LIFETIME warranty starter, not some slavelabor monkey factory rebuilt plain boxed p.o.s. (If anyone has ever worked at Kragen, or any other parts store you know what I'm talking about). The same rule goes for alternators too.

Say, I seem to be having a recurring problem: Every 9 months or so my starter needs to be replaced. Specifically, I will notice a grinding noise and, for lack of a better term - a kicking, when I try to start the engine. When I remove the starter, the teeth on the starter gear have been rounded down from the once square, to now almost conical where it engages the flexplate.

So, two questions:

1) Any idea why this may be happening? The flexplate teeth seem to be in ok shape.

2) There has been mention of replacing the old style starter with a late model starter (lighter, etc...). Think this would help solve the problem?

I am making a presumption that the starter teeth in the old style starters are of a fairly soft metal (thus the reason they keep getting chewed down). Maybe a late model starter would have stronger teeth?

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments!

Oh, and I'll work on a sig and pics for y'all soon. :)