Replacing Door Handles.

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Some of you may know that Ive been planning a tan to black interior conversion. While I think I can paint the little plastic cup around the door handle, The door handle itself will not be a piece that I can paint since it will get "handled" :lol: a lot.

When I was at the junkyard today, I was going to pull some in black but they were rivotted in there. Im assuming you need to know what you are doing to replace these.

Any suggestions? :shrug:
THANKS
RC

• Sponsors (?)

No need for a rivet gun, you can use a bolt and nut instead. I'd recommend using threadlock on the nut just in case.

You do have to drill out the rivet. Once you do, the handle housing slides off of the door. I do not remember if you can detach the cable from the handle or if you need to take the entire cable and detach it from the door lock mechanism. I found it easier to detach the cable from the lock rather than the handle itself, but I couldn't tell you why now. :shrug:

You can either rivet, self taping sheet screw, nut & bolt. should not be too hard.

I just replied in you other thread. I noticed my handles have a thick black rubber looking paint/coating. You may want to see if you can find something like this (undercoating type stuff probably would work perfect). It might be easier and cheaper if you can find a coating cheap enough.

why not get the billet ones I think they would really POP in your car

I guess you werent reading the other threads.

Two things:

--I still have to figure how to remove and install new ones.

--The billet ones are a hefty chunk of change for such a small part.

BTW...watcha doin' this Sat? We're working on Interior...stop by and bring the Boxer!!

RC

Wish I could Rob but, my server at work poopoo'd this week and I have to spend this weekend trying to get it up.

how close are you to completion? I don't think the trade for that 68 is going thru so I will be in the 94 club for a while.

Since thats the case I might be changing back to Powersteering and posibly an IRS.

Wish I could Rob but, my server at work poopoo'd this week and I have to spend this weekend trying to get it up.

how close are you to completion? I don't think the trade for that 68 is going thru so I will be in the 94 club for a while.

Since thats the case I might be changing back to Powersteering and posibly an IRS.

We're going to work on interior this weekend.

Here's what I have. How much we get done is still up in the air:

-replace clock spring and entire steering assembly.
-paint dash
-replace carpeting
-paint anything I can black that is removed for the carpet and let dry
-replace pw torque pins
-swap the tan front kick panels and door sills with black ones from the junkyard I just got.

I still have some door components to paint and replace. Jose and I have from about 10am to about 4pm, with a 15 min lunch break.

We should get quite a bit done.

RC