replacing door pins

Groundpounder91

Dec 3, 2007
It appears I have all the tools and parts to replace the pins, bushings and roller closers, is this something I should do myself or pay someone to do. I have heard it can be a nightmare to get the original pins out?? any tips would be great..thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When I did mine, I needed to use a dremel tool to cut the pin then used a hammer and hole punch to get the pin out. You really need to use a jack to support the end of the door to move the door around. Also, make sure the door hinges aren't bent as mine where it makes lining up the pins a wicked pain..

Get the snake tool for the dremel, makes the job alot easier, also make sure you have alot of cutting wheels.
Definetely wear googles too, those wheels shatter and will hurt your eyes, not to mention you can actually look at what you are doing.
Use anything you can rig up, to hold the door in up in the air. a box or crate of similar height, with someone hold the door upright should work.
It's really pretty easy to door, just appears to be difficult.

Cut the pins, and wiggle them out.

I did mine too, but used a regular grinder and was extremely careful. I ended up spot welding the new bushings to the hinges too because they would twist with the pin, and I think they are meant to be stationary while the pin turns in the bushings, but I am not sure. The instructions didn't say anything about it.

Hinge pin & bushing kits are available at many auto parts stores. Or see http://www.texasmustang.com/ or http://www.mustang-unl.com/. Usually less than $8 for the kit with one pin & 2 bushings.

Th hard part is to get the old pin out. Some were spot welded in, others were hammered so that the end mushroomed. Either way, it takes a grinder or cutter bit in a drill or Dremel tool to cut the pin or grind off the weld. Once it is off, tap the pin out with a hammer. Only remove one pin at a time so that you don't have the full weight of the door to manage. I highly recommend that you have a helper standing by to hold the door.

Once the old pin is out, lower the door and tap out the old bushings. Put the new bushings in and have the helper lift the door in place so that you can slide the new pin in. It may have to go in differently from the way it came out. That's OK, as long as you put the cotter pin in the hinge pin.

OOOPS!!!The important thing to remember is that the hinge pin isn't supposed to move once you are finished. If it does, then you will end up like me - the pin moved, it wore the door hinge instead of the replaceable bushings. Now in order to fix it right, I have to remove the whole thing again and drill out the hinge to the same size as the bushing and use 2 sets of bushings in each hinge rather than one set.

The fix for the OOOPS was very time consuming and if you aren't up to some very interesting machine work, do it right so you won't have to do it again. I fixed the OOOPS but I had $43 worth of drill bit and specialized reamer plus pulling the fender off to fix it.