Replacing Idle Air Controller..anything to watch our for?

scstanger

Dec 3, 2003
I'm going to go ahead and swap out my IAC this weekend as the symptoms for a faulty(or dirty) IAC are starting to appear more frequently when starting my GT. I'm going off the following website, and it looks really easy from what I can tell.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.html

Just wondering if there is anything I should watch out for, also, do I need to disconnect the battery?
Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

this is a pretty easy job..I have been cleaning mine with carb cleaner every few months but I need to fork out the cash and buy a new iac soon. Just make sure that the gasket that mounts onto the iac is in good condition before you reinstall it. If its not, you will not have a good seal and there will be some idle problems. good luck!

scstanger said:
I'm going to go ahead and swap out my IAC this weekend as the symptoms for a faulty(or dirty) IAC are starting to appear more frequently when starting my GT. I'm going off the following website, and it looks really easy from what I can tell.

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.html

Just wondering if there is anything I should watch out for, also, do I need to disconnect the battery?
Thanks in advance

What are the symptoms for a faulty/dirty IAC?

osaka_tag_2.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.

The symptoms are when you start the car and it instantly dies. The only way you can keep it running is if you keep your foot on the gas. Mine has been so bad at times that when driving like this, I'm lucky to keep the car from dying even in between shifts.

The same thing happened to my brothers 97 GT and when he replaced the IAC, all was good again.

Later

Sport Lines

I noticed in your sig, that you have sport line springs w/0 c.c. plates.I picked up a set lasr week & am going to be changing them this week-end.
How long have you had them on the car?

if the car starts then stops because of IAC issues, how do you get it to the Ford dealer to clean it? or perhaps you people are skilled enough to do it yourselves =) I can't do it for jack, I always pay someone for work being done on my car.

osaka_tag_2.jpg

cryptic:
I've had my sportlines on for WELL over 6 months now, daily driving on them the entire time. I deliberated a long time on whether or not to use the CC plates, but in the end a lot of people said I wouldn't need them. Believe it or not, the drop is not as low as you think it will be as long as you leave the spring isolators on. Which was good for me, because I was nervous about the drop. I have not seen any uneven tire wear in my front tires at all.

Seraphitia102:
Technically I don't think what happens to the IAC is expected to happen. So I wouldn't expect Ford to just clean it out if you took it up there. If you have K&N they'd probably try to blame it on that and say that the part will not be covered by the warranty (just going off past experiences). I'd just wait and see if it even happens to you and if so, and you don't want to replace it yourself, just take it to a shop and have them do it, it will probably cost you around $100.

Later