Replacing metal fuel line with rubber line?

Dohc32vMarkVIII

Mar 31, 2005
The fuel line on my 85 GT has a slight hole in it, and I want to replace it. It's a hard fuel line, and I want to know if I can replace it with a 3/8'' rubber fuel line, and what fittings I will need on either end to do this. The car is an 85, so it should have a mechanical pump, and I think I should only need around 3 feet of rubber to replace the hard line. Has anyone done this? Is it a bad idea to replace the hard line with a rubber one?

Another thing is accessing the other side of the fuel line. I can't see the mech fuel pump, and it looks like I would have to remove a bunch off of the front of the motor to get at it. I only have the weekend to do this, and I need the car on Monday. Can I splice in a rubber line to patch the area with the hole in it? Does anyone have any pictures of how it goes together or where the fuel pump is on the motor?

• Sponsors (?)

If the car is carburated,splicing in a rubber fuel line hose is a very common repair.

There is no pressure in the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump in a carburated application.

As long as you use high pressure fuel line, the line itself will hold up. The problem is getting it to hold on to the two ends of the metal line. If you cut out a section you will have two bare ends of metal line, and no ribs to hold the rubber line on with. You will end up using regular hose clamps...which I wouldn't trust.

I had to fix the same problem on my underbody lines, for the time being I had a shop weld on some ribs and used two clamps. It holds fine now, but I still don't like the idea. Finding good metal lines is hard, nobody wants to ship them without folding them.

You can also opt to use compression fittings and replacement metal. That is going to be my permenant fix shortly, good compression fittings will not leak and will hold just fine under pressure.

Yes, you can do that. All you need is some regular hose, because 85 was either CFI which used very low pressure (13-15 psi if I remember correctly) or carbed, is like 4 psi, but no pressure before the pump... Just get flare tool kit. Flair the ends and use hose clamps. That will be plenty to hold it.

Thought not perfect, I've done repairs like you need to do before. It sounds like accessing the area is a toughie - otherwise you can bend your own metal line.

Once done, do keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt leak.

Good luck.

I am in the process of replacing my feed line on my 92 with Nylon Fuel Tubing, its pretty awesome stuff and the cost was reasonable a $2.50 a foot, the only expesive parts were the Factory Ford Fittings to fit the fuel rail and the fuel filter.

The only line I want to replace is the line from the mech fuel pump on the motor to where it connects to the carb, it can't be more than 2ft. I think I'll go outside tomorrow, take a look at it, and maybe give it a shot.

I did it on my feed line on my old tempo all I did was cut the rotten chunk out and doubble clamped a piece of high pressure line on both ends. worked for 2 years and I sold it over a year like that and it's still on there.

when i did my carb conversion i ran 1/2 inch fuel line all the way from the tank to the regulator then 3/8 from the regulator to the tank...i have an electric fuel pump of course but same principle