Replacing my entire interior.....bad idea?

sentipede

Dec 27, 2004
ok-
I picked up my black with ivy/white interior 65 fastback at the beginning of the summer, and have been sinking a lot of money to get the car back up to par.

Anyhow, the last major item needing attention is the interior. I have received several quotes from reputable restoration shops and they are coming in at about $3600 for a complete color change...no aluminum or gauge pieces. This includes all seats, doors, carpet, headliner, dash pad, and repainting of all surfaces. I have thought about keeping the same color and just reupholstering the seats, doors, headliner, and changing carpet, but the dash would still definitely need to be repainted.

I was thinking with the winter coming, I could try to do as much as I could on my own before I drop it off in an effort to save money. I have no experience with any of this, am I in for some serious trouble? Any suggestions would be much appreciated....

Thanks in advance!

:SNSign:

65fastback.jpg

2315_14458_16.JPG

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

Attachments

• 65fastback.jpg
    65fastback.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 2315_14458_16.JPG
    2315_14458_16.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0092.jpg
    DSCF0092.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0098.jpg
    DSCF0098.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Sponsors (?)

You can definately do it yourself (except paint) for less than $3600. I just installed my entire interior (part of a complete restoration) this summer. I had the seats reupholstered professionally, but installed them myself. I replaced everything on the dash, carpet, door panels, handles, etc.

The only thing I have not done is replaced the headliner. This is because my front and back windows are not in yet. I am going to take it to the restoration/body shop so they can do this.

That said, almost nothing went smoothly. It can be done, but you need to take your time and have a lot of patience.

Carl