replacing parts of the cooling system

adamb258

Mar 30, 2003
dallas
i have a 68 302 and it has been overheating pretty bad with the electric fan so i was going to replace the radiator and i was going to put back in a reg. fan and fan shroud and check on replacing the thermostat but had some questions. im not wanting to spend top dollar on all this stuff i just want it to start running better. any help would be appreciated.

btw, the fan only works when the ac is on. it has some bad wiring so i am going to just get rid of it.

what size radiator would be best? 20-24?
what kind of fan would you suggest?
what is the best thermostat? is 160 ok?

• Sponsors (?)

How hot has it been getting??? I would get as big of a radiator as you can get (the bigger it is the better it cools). A 3 row will do fine (you can get a 4 row if you want to, but some will argue that by the time the air gets to the 4th row, it has already lost its ability to cool; so the 4th row does really nothing). Get a 5 blade fan with a matching shroud (DONT GET THE FLEX FANS!!!!!). Electric fans are the best, but since you don't want to deal with fixing the wiring then I would just get a stock 5 blade. As for your thermostat, a 185 (I think that is a number) is a good one to go with. MustangsPlus should have everything you need. Now I have a question for you. Since you just want to get rid of that electrical fan, you would be willing to sell it???? If you are then, PM me and we can talk. :nice:

-Shaun

Go back to the stock system. The biggest radiator size/w shroud is always the better choice. A clutch type fan 17" 5 blade is always better for daily driving in hot climates. 160 degree thermo is good for the summer, but may leave you cold in the winter.

Did my first post not help?? :shrug: What questions do you still need to get answered? Here is the parts that I would get, including the fan, fan shroud, thermo, and rad.

Rad: http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchan...=MPFMP&Product_Code=00774&Category_Code=3-Row

Fan shroud: http://www.mustangsplus.com/Merchan...PFMP&Product_Code=00440&Category_Code=shrouds

You can get the thermostat at a local auto parts store. As for the fan, if you are willing to sell me your old electric fan set up then I'll give you the fan I am using right now.

BTW: What are the specs on your motor. Has it been bored over? What is your timing?

-Shaun