Replacing Structural Parts - Cut off a little too much - tips for lining things up?

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Replacing torque boxes, cowl, firewall and floors. Plan was to do one side at a time. Cut off a little more than I should have (damn plasma cutter makes it too easy). In any case need to get things lines back up. Working on getting parts level and looking at shop manual for measurements. Any tips from anyone who's been there done that would be appreciated. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, the idea is to replace one piece at a time, on a car that is well-supported, but you've already gone past that point. You'll still have to do the well-supported part, and now you'll want to invest in a LASER level, too. Get an export brace, the expensive one, not the cheapie, it'll help line things up and hold them in place.

AC006.jpg

thanks. Had the same idea on lazer level. Spent the morning measuring heights to specs and use trailer jacks to get it supported. Good idea on export brace - will do that. Just curious what you mean by not the cheapie. What type are you referring to. Area I have the most concern right now is getting engine area square. When I placed new cowl panel in I can tell I was off about a little less than 1/4". I can pull the front end in and get it to line up but concerned I may have knocked out of square - any ideas?

BTW nice jig - I should probably break down and fab something like that. Trailer jacks still have some play in them.

Good idea on export brace - will do that. Just curious what you mean by not the cheapie. What type are you referring to. Area I have the most concern right now is getting engine area square. When I placed new cowl panel in I can tell I was off about a little less than 1/4". I can pull the front end in and get it to line up but concerned I may have knocked out of square - any ideas?

The one on the left is the cheap copy, the one on the right is the accurate repro of the original Ford part.
G19165A.jpg

Your supports will bring that back into line. The export brace will help.

Lazer level working out great. I can see why you did the jig. Even thought the trailer jacks are working out I find myself measuring ever time I move something around. just curious where did you get the levelers and how did you mont to bottom of jigs.

Lazer level working out great. I can see why you did the jig. Even thought the trailer jacks are working out I find myself measuring ever time I move something around. just curious where did you get the levelers and how did you mount to bottom of jigs.

That photo is from Glazier/Nolan's shop. The support frame was made for Mustangs. You can see several photos of it here:

1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible