Replacing valve stem seals on SOHC, Advice?

85 Coupe 5.0

Founding Member
Dec 18, 2001
Kansas
I am going to replace the faulty valve stem seals on my '96 4.6 soon, and was wandering if anyone has ever done this before? The engine is in the car. My major concern is, do I have to remove the camshaft "ladder" caps to use the spring compressor? Looking at the head pics I took when i had my RH valve cover off, it doesn't look like the spring compressor will work with the caps in the way. I have access to the spring compressor and spring spacer. The ford factory manual doesn't say anything about removing the caps. Anyone else ever done this before?

• Sponsors (?)

bdcardinal said:
is this an early production model 96? i know the 91-95 panther chassis and earlier t-birds have this problem, but not many NPI stangs. they revised the valve stem seals.

I believe my production date is Feb. or Mar. , but would have to look to be sure. I have also come to the same conclusion, don't see too many stangs with this problem, but it fits stem seals to the "T" as far as symptoms go.

I'm sure it's not rings. It only smokes when you let it sit and idle for around 2 mins or so and only smokes lightly untill you romp it once, then you get a decent cloud then it will clear out.

Doesn't smoke when cold, only will do it on a warm/hot engine.

Doesn't smoke when driving, only when you let it sit and idle. gets worse the longer it idles and will actually smoke idleing if you let it sit long enough.

Checked PCV system, not suckin up oil there.

almost has to be stem seals. going to change them Thanksgiving weekend, we'll see how it works out.