Replacing water pump. Got a few questions.

5point0dude

Sep 5, 2007
So, my water pump is leaking again (had it replaced about 4 years ago, so I'm a little mad), and instead of having a shop do it like last time, I decided to do it myself this time. I've been reading my Chilton manual and finding some advice online, and it seems pretty straight forward, and something I can do myself. I just have a few questions. First, how do I properly drain the coolant system? Second, what tools will I need? Any other info is appreciated. Especially of there's any walkthroughs available. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Take a cardboard box, & turn it upside down. Count the number of bolts that hold the water pump on, don’t forget to count the 4 funny looking studs too. Poke a hole in the box for each bolt/stud. Arrange the holes in a circular formation, and mark the box at the 12:00 point. When you remove a water pump bolt, put it in one of the holes in the box according to where it came out of the water pump. When you are done, all bolts will be arranged it the exact same order and position that you removed them from the water pump. That makes re-installing them easy, no wondering where does this bolt go.

A long shank tap should be used to chase the dirt & corrosion out of the original threads before you reassemble everything. Cleaning the threads will help prevent the bolts from seizing next time (yes, there will be a next time).

Long shank 5/16” taps

Do a search on the part number when the first page of their web site opens up.

Industrial Supply Equipment from MSC Industrial Supply 5/16” pulley tap, 6” shank P/N 04801189 price $24.60

OR second choice, will not clean all the bottom threads unless you grind the end of the tap.

Industrial Supply Equipment from MSC Industrial Supply 5/16”extension tap, 6” reduced diameter shank P/N 04701181 $27.80

Use lots of antiseize on the bolts to protect them from corrosion and make them easier to remove next time.

See Totally Stainless for replacement stainless steel bolts. Last time I checked, they didn't have the studs. Nice folks, very into cars of all types. They have all kinds of stainless fasteners for almost every car. The prices are very reasonable, less the $10 for the water pump kit without the studs.

The studs are a Motormite item available at your local Advance Discount auto Parts store.

Motormite Water Pump Stud Kits for Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars and trucks w/3.8L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.8L.

23744-007.jpg

Part Number: 23744