Requesting your help - 302 build suggestions please...

Apr 3, 2004
MB
Ok, I'm swapping a 302 into my 97 Ranger Splash, and I'd like some suggestions on how to build this motor.

Here's what I've collected already.

79 302 block.
Ported E7's.
Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake.
I know I'll be going with a set of Headmann swap headers as well.http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bymanufacturerspart&searchtype=both

I'll be running an AOD with a shift kit, and probably stock torque converter to start.

Funds are quite limited, so I'll be piecing this together as my wallet allows.

I'm looking for a motor with good low end torque, as it is going to be a weekend cruiser only, not raced, not daily driven. It needs to be streetable and friendly to drive (somewhat), as I'd like my wife to drive it as well. Don't get me wrong, I will get on it, but I don't want to have to rev to 4000 to start making power.
I will send it out for machine work, and will do a full rebuild (0.030 over and pistons etc...)

What suggestions have you got (specifically on the cam)?

Thanks very much!

Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

Go with a b303 its a nice mild cam that will make it sound good and wake the motor up a bit, then throw on an x pipe and a set of spintecs or flomasters to give it a nice deep sound pipe it all the way out the back with a couple decent crome tips or pipes and your set for a nice toy that has been beefed just mildly :D

Thanks for the reply!

What kind of power is that going to give me? Can I reasonably expect 250-260 HP using that cam? I guess that is about what my goal is...nothing wild, but more than a stock stang.

xtrockx said:
Go with a b303 its a nice mild cam that will make it sound good and wake the motor up a bit, then throw on an x pipe and a set of spintecs or flomasters to give it a nice deep sound pipe it all the way out the back with a couple decent crome tips or pipes and your set for a nice toy that has been beefed just mildly :D

Yes B303. A friend of mine had a B303 GT40 crate motor (kinda similar to your combo) in his 84 Ranger and it ran real low 13's/high 12's off the NOS on pump gas. Ran 12.03 on 125 NOS with so-so traction.

0425 said:
Thanks for the reply!

What kind of power is that going to give me? Can I reasonably expect 250-260 HP using that cam? I guess that is about what my goal is...nothing wild, but more than a stock stang.

Those numbers sound about right for at the crank power.

Isn't the b303 a roller cam though? I've got a 79 block and I'm not interested in spending uber cash on cranes conversion lifters...

What about the FRPP M-6250-A311 Cam?

(thanks for your input guys :) Keep it coming!)

:doh: Yeah, you're right. B303 is a roller cam. Look for something similar to the B303 in duration at .050" and lift. Those numbers are 224 degrees of duration at .050" and .480" lift with 1.6:1 rocker ratio.

Ok. Check these numbers and let me know what you think.

M6250-A311 cam

Duration @ .050 204 intake 214 exhaust
Gross lift .448 intake .472 exhaust
LSA 107 intake 117 exhaust

Sound any good for what I want? (low end torque with HP that doesn't fade real quick)

Thanks for your help thus far!

Kevin